Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gap-year Study Abroad? 2008/10/26 11:20
I plan on taking a gap year (i.e., a year between high school graduation and the start of university) to spend studying in Japan. I chose Japan because it's a very different society to live in than where I am, and I think this will prepare me for my first year at university.

I have come across an interesting program, and was wondering if anyone had heard ANYTHING about it?

The Osaka Girls' Senior High School (www.osakagirls-shs-international.org/) particularly caught my eye, as I will be 17 upon graduation, and think that it would be an unmatchable experience for me, but I can't find ANY testimonials about it or any outside information besides on their website!

Though the high school seems like a good option, I am open to other gap-year possibilities (i.e., language school, volunteer work, et al...)

Any information on this or any other gap-year programs would be greatly appreciated!
by KT  

... 2008/10/26 20:14
http://www.osakagirls-shs.ed.jp/international/enrolment.html

I personally know nothing about this school, but upon reading the Japanese site, this seems to be a special enrollment program for non-Japanese high school students who have already been studying the language. As qualifications, they list that you need to be females aged 15 - 18, and must be enrolled in a senior high school (...which you will not be). They select on the basis of an essay (either in Japanese or English) and an interview in Japanese. A recommendation from your school is needed. And I do not know what kind of visa you could have to obtain to attend a high school, and they do not mention what their course is eligible for.

I wonder - maybe enrolling in a Japanese language school is another option? Or if you are from a country where there is Working Holiday Visa agreement exists with Japan, you could come on that visa and travel in Japan, or attend a short duration Japanese language course, while finding some casual work to help with expenses.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: 2008/10/26 21:22
Thanks.
I did end up speaking with both of OGSHS's directors, and they said that a gap year WAS actually possible (I just have to have my high school diploma witheld while I'm in Japan so I am TECHNICALLY enrolled in American high school, even though I will have graduated, which really isn't a problem to me.)

As for working-holiday visas, I don't believe that they're offered to Americans (I could be wrong.)

Are there any language schools you (or anyone else) can reccomend?

Thanks again!
by KT rate this post as useful

reply to this thread