Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why add a J? 2008/10/26 12:45
Why do people add a "J" in front of everything whenever they're talking about something Japanese? (i.e, J-guy, J-girl, J-pop, and so on) Do they do the same thing with Westerners? Like, A-girl/guy (American) or B-rock (British Rock, lol)
by A Noelle  

... 2008/10/26 19:33
To abbreviate. Comparable to using "US" instead of "United States of America".
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/27 10:31
A Noelle,

You have a point. Japan is not the only country that starts with the letter J. I guess somoebody started that just to sound fashinable, pop, trendy....whatever it is......
by . rate this post as useful

Well. 2008/10/27 10:55
Wondered that myself--I think it sounds kinda stupid personally, don't see why people can't just type it out or use the more sensible two letter abbreviation if they must. But like "." said...
by Random college student rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/27 11:21
Other such words used in society are J-pop and J-phone, so it may have come from words such as these (although I imagine the use of J has been around for much longer). I never use it, but it is easier to type J than Japanese.
by Smoke rate this post as useful

hard to say 2008/10/27 13:28
So you think when people are speaking, they should call it Jp-pop? Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it?
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/27 14:16
I think "J-pop" was coined by the music/entertainment industry in Japan to distinguish Japanese pop music from "Western" pops, as "pops" as a music category came from the West. I don't know where the mobile phone company name "J-Phone" came from :)

Here on this forum, the topic IS Japan and people ARE talking about Japan and Japanese, and because "Japanese" is a relatively long word to spell out, so there has been a tendency to abbreviate - as the other abbreviation consisting of the first three letters of the word is definitely considered derogatory and is to be avoided (there seems to be some argument that this is a legitimate abbreviation widely used in UK and elsewhere, but I myself find it offensive too), so people started using "J-girl" and "J-boy" and such.

It's not that we go "A-girl" and "B-boy" for every country :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread