Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

They aren't a threat,right? 2008/10/28 06:49
I heard of the Yakuza and those biker gang/greaser dudes.My question is if they are a threat to people.And if any of you ever encountered either one of them.
by Herr Hauptmann  

one word 2008/10/28 13:06
... nnnnnope.

not at all. Don't worry about it. They like to keep themselves underground and they wouldn't randomly attack a tourist... or anyone usually.
In my three semesters in Japan I've seen two different groups of men who were definitely yakuza. The first I got a picture with because my friend encouraged me to go with her...*sigh* and while they were saying rude things about what kind of poses we should do nothing happened except the picture.
The second time I just saw a few guys on the street, walked past them and that was all. Nothing happened.

So don't worry about it.
by UreshiiMiko rate this post as useful

Don't bother them... 2008/10/28 15:58
They might be a threat if you tried to set up a hostess bar on their turf. If you don't plan to do that, you will be fine. You don't see/hear the bikers much these days, they were more of a phenomenon back in the 70s/80s.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/29 08:10
Well at least they are not like those gangs (you know,the Bloodz and the Cripts)in cities like L.A.,NYC,...or Detroit(shudder).Well Japan is a safe place with a yearly homicide rate of 0.62% (compare that to U.S.A with a rate of 68%!!)
by Herr Hauptmann rate this post as useful

no 2008/10/29 09:30
Worst they'll ever do, is try to get you drunk and leave you with the tab.

Went to tokyo(near akihabara), a guy comes up speaking english (obvious yakuza), talks me into a bar, we get smashed, and he practically bolted for the door.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a Yakuza owned bar either.
by Mike B rate this post as useful

reply to this thread