Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Soon to be in Japan 2008/10/29 15:05
Right now I am a University student, but I will be living in Japan for a year very soon, and I was wondering how I would be treated.

I am a female and generally outgoing, so would it be easy to make friends (it would be really bad if I was lonely throughout the whole year)?

I also look pretty innocent and stuff, but I have a tattoo and a piercing on my navel so I was wondering would I be disrespecting anyone? My tattoo isn't very public, but I heard there is a stigma to it, and I would not want to offend anyone.

Also, what should I prepare myself for since I don't want to appear stupid or ignorant.

Thank you in advance.
by Cherrie89  

Japan 2008/10/29 19:48
Do you make friends easily in your home country? Then it will most likely be the same in Japan. There are a couple of recent threads on this forum about tattoos and plenty of old ones- did you read them?

Learn as much of the language as you can, read about the culture, but don't worry as you won't be expected to know every subtlety of Japanese culture. As long as you don't wear your shoes inside the house or use soap in public baths you should be fine.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread