Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Canadian-certified doctor in Japan? 2008/10/30 08:14
He's a friend of mine..He's not canadian but he's just finished his certification and his 5-year residency in Canada..
Strangely, he's working on his Japanese language, I don't wanna look as if I am putting him down, but I dunno, how will he get to work in Japan?
What's the needed steps? Is there an exam? where should he apply, then?
If he had done his cert & residency in th US, wwould it have made it easier for him to get to Japan?
Thx in advance..
by Zein  

no 2008/10/30 11:47
there is no real difference between canadian and american medicine, the only difference is how the health care system works. exams need to be written to practice in either one but if they pass the exam in one or the other they'll have no problem with the other country.

if he wants to practice in japan he'll need to write a japanese exam. it will likely require a lot of studying but can be done. there are a few foreign doctors especially in tokyo who have done it before.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re 2008/10/30 13:06
Thanks for the response..but, That friend of mine isn't graduated from a Japanese school of medicine, isn't that a barrier?
by Zein rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/10/30 15:45
Yes, it is a major barrier. There are very very few non-Japanese doctors practicing in Japan. Your friend should look into the hurdles pretty thoroughly before committing himself to this path- has he been to Japan before?

The research needs to be a bit more serious than asking on a mostly travel site like this one- the Japanese embassy or consulate would probably be a good first step.
by Sira rate this post as useful

sort of 2008/10/30 17:17
it's only a barrier to his practice once he opens up here. his clients will be almost entirely foreign and the occasional japanese who likes foreigners.

you don't NEED to graduate from a japanese medical school to practice here. but you have to pass the exams which being in all japanese, and testing japanese knowledge, is going to be a big challenge far more difficult than the MCAT or licensing exams ever were for him.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re 2 2008/10/31 05:23
Thanks dearly for all the answers and comments..
Ofc the proper step should be asking in an embassy, but I just wanted to get the general idea..if it's ILLEGAL for a doctor not graduated from a Japanese school of medicine to work in Japan, or HARD DUE TO LANGUAGE?
All comments & answers are very welcome..
by Zein rate this post as useful

reply to this thread