Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass for 5 years old 2008/10/31 15:35
Hi, we will be in Japan this coming mid of Nov. We will have long journey bullet train ride for Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto-Tokyo. Is it advisable to reserve seats for our journey ? I am asking this because I have a five years old daughter and confuse whether I need to buy the JR pass for her. I read a question posted before about the need to buy the pass for a below 3 years old and the lady was advised not to buy and always go for the unreserve car. But my friend who ever visited Japan advised us to always reserve the seats as worry that we might end up in the smoking car if we do not do so, and it means that we need to buy the pass for my daughter. Can someone tell me what should I do ? tks alot.
by suzanne  

Seat reservations for childen 2008/10/31 17:19
Suzanne,

My answer in your case would be the same as that I gave to the poster with a 3-year-old...

Children under the age of 6 travel free of charge provided they do not occupy a seat. If you want a seat for your daughter, you will have to get a child railpass, which is half the cost of the adult pass, and reserve a seat. The posters that responded in the previous thread saying it was possible to get away with not buying a railpass and hoping to find seats in the non-reserved cars were correct, but this is really taking advantage (i.e. abusing) the system, as a ticket is required for small children if they occupy a separate seat.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/10/31 17:21
Just a note when making your reservations. but for Hakone, the Shinkansen goes as far as Odawara Station (the rest of the journey into Hakone is done by non JR trains/buses).
by John rate this post as useful

daughter 2008/10/31 19:41
Hi Dave and John,
Tks a lot for your response. Dave, from your answer I know what I should do. Yes I want a seat for my daughter and I will buy the pass for her. This will also give me some peace of mind as I do not have to worry whether she would get the seat or not. Thank you and happy weekend !
by suzanne rate this post as useful

reply to this thread