Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trains running past midnight on NY eve? 2008/11/3 04:08
I read on a website that on 12/31 trains run past midnight in order to accomodate people doing hatsumode.

I'd never heard of this before and was wondering if someone can confirm this and how long the trains run until?

I was hoping to go to the countdown 08/09 concert in Osaka that night and celebrate the new year there, but the problem is it ends after midnight and normally there are no trains back from the convention center to Osaka city. But if it's true the trains run longer I'd be able to make it back to my hotel that night after the concert.
by David  

... 2008/11/3 19:53
Major lines in large cities run around the clock. Minor lines run one or a few special services. Some lines do not have additional trains.
by Uji rate this post as useful

which line? 2008/11/3 19:59
Last year, Osaka subway provided all night passenger service, roughly 2 train per hour from 0am to 5am

https://www.kotsu.city.osaka.jp/news/news/h19/2007_2008_nenm...
by Ts rate this post as useful

can't help 2008/11/4 00:20
sorry i can't really help but i'd imagine that in osaka the trains start at 4:30 like they do in tokyo, so you could just continue the party until then or hang out in a net cafe or some other place to get out of the cold for a few hours till the trains get going again.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/4 00:26
As mentioned trains on major lines in major cities will run all night (though with limited service, eg twice an hour). Depends on which train line you'll be taking.

For example a major line like the Yamanote Line runs all night the night of December 31 into Jan 1. I would imagine the Osaka Loop Line to do the same.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread