Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese language student - rail pass? 2008/11/4 15:23
I`m applying to a Japanese language school in Tokyo, I`ll be living in Japan on a student visa. Do I qualify for any student discount on the rail system in Tokyo? I`ve already asked the school I`m applying to and they have said as a Japanese language student I don`t qualify - is this true of all language students or just certain schools? Would I be able to purchase an ordinary commuter pass? Thanks.
by kh  

Unsure 2008/11/4 17:31
Hi, I'm going to be a language school too but in Kyoto. I don't think we're eligible because we'll be there under student visas. I'm not sure what our other options are, but I'd be interested to know.
by Zhienko rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/4 21:28
I think kh is asking about "student discount on commuting train pass" and Zhienko is talking about the 7-day or 14-day "Japan Rail Pass."

As Zhienko has posted, if you are coming on a student visa, you are not eligible to buy the Japan Rail Pass (a huge saving for those visiting Japan on Temporary Visitor status).

If kh wants to know about the commuting pass (the one that is valid for one, three, or six months to students, who travel on the same route everyday to/from their homes and their schools), and if the student discount rate is applicable to those who study on Japanese language schools, unfortunately the answer seems to be no - Japanese language schools in general do not seem to be considered part of the official school system of Japan :(
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/4 21:35
In tokyo, if you are on a pre-college student visa, and attending a Japanese language school usually you might be able to get a commuter pass for TOEI lines (the language school I went to had that) but this was only for TOEI lines and buses, Tokyo Metro, JR, and other lines did not offer the discount.

It would depend on the school's arrangement with the train companies.

As for the JR PASS, no.
JR Pass and Commuter Pass are two different things.

For commuter passes, anyone can buy one.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread