Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

am i not enter again here in japan? 2008/11/9 12:07
i divorce 2mos. ago,my visa is until june 2009,and my status of residence is [Spouse or Child of Japanese National]i decide to go in my country this month,alone, for my general check-up,stay there for 21days.then i get my Re-entry permit.i heard from my friend,if i`m a Divorce person,i cannot enter again here in japan,is it TRUE?i'm afraid to not seeing my children again.
by jhoy  

Re-entry 2008/11/9 17:56
jhoy,

No, I don't think that is true - although I am not an immigration lawyer.
Provided your visa is still valid (i.e. until June 2009) and you have a re-entry permit, you should have no problem re-entering the country. I presume you realize that you won't be able to renew your current visa in June 2009 if you are no longer married to a Japanese citizen.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

re-entry permit 2008/11/9 21:24
the re-entry permit is something you should have gotten before leaving japan. assuming you have the reentry permit stamped in your passport and your visa is still valid, i agree with dave that you should be ok.
by pete rate this post as useful

reentry 2008/11/10 02:53
agree, it was foolish not to get your reentry permit before leaving, is there any reason why you didn't?

you may experience complications at narita when you arrive, but eventually they should let you through.

you are going to need to sort out your visa situation soon however, since when it does expire you will be blocked from japan unless you can get a different kind of visa or another spousal visa.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/10 14:45
It is unclear from your post whether or not you hold a reentry permit. If so then Dave's advice applies.

If you don't have a reentry permit then its a different situation. By leaving the country without a reentry permit (regardless of why you didn't get one before leaving) you have effectively canceled your spouse visa.

Depending on what country you come from you will have a different procedure for reentering Japan.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html

Also, be careful of some of the previous advice:

you may experience complications at narita when you arrive, but eventually they should let you through.

If you are coming from a country that doesn't have a visa exemption with Japan (such as the Philippines), the you will need the proper documents before arriving or you will not be allowed to enter Japan and will be sent back. See this list for countries with exemptions:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html#a

If you are coming from a country on that list then you can enter Japan as a Temporary Visitor for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.

you are going to need to sort out your visa situation soon however, since when it does expire you will be blocked from japan unless you can get a different kind of visa or another spousal visa.

It isn't necessarily true that you will be blocked from entering if you are from a visa exempt country. See the link above to check which countries are visa exempt.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

the future 2008/11/10 17:01
Your children were born to a Japanese father and their citizenship is beyond doubt. As for you, being a divorced person now, the "Spouse" visa should valid no more because you cannot be a dependent of your former husband anymore. When you apply for a reentry permit, what status are you going to declare? "divorced" or "married" in the application form? Since you are the blood mother of your Japanese children, I believe they will let you stay but under a different category. Besides, you may still have the legal custody over your kids. So why not call immigration before further action!
by TW rate this post as useful

reply to this thread