Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cute lion tshirt - why do people giggle? 2008/11/9 20:56
Hi all
I purchased a cute red tshirt with a huge lion face on it while in Kyoto from a shop in the Kyoto train station. I have seen bags and other accessories with this lion for sale at Commes Ca Ism stores also. My question is why do people laugh and giggle when I wear it? What does the lion symbolise, or what is his character? I bought it purely because I thought it was kawaii - and am not worried by peoples' reactions, just interested!
Can anyone help me out??
Cheers!
Lion wearing girl!
by Lion Wearing Girl  

Lion 2008/11/9 22:32
Can you post a photo of it? Not everyone will be familiar with the character.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Great idea here's the pic 2008/11/10 08:04
That's a great suggestion.
A pic of the shirt can be found at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kawaiikay/3017423802/

Please help me solve this mystery! I am just very curious to know the story behind the lion!!
Thanks heaps
Lion wearing girl
by Lion Wearing Girl rate this post as useful

comedy 2008/11/10 09:26
that shirt / lion was made by a comedian named takando toshi, he was popular for a while. the people laughing are probably remembering him when they see the shirt.

pleeeeease stop mixing kawaii with english, it sounds weird and wrong and it's not interchangeable. cute is the word you want.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

funky lion 2008/11/10 10:21
Being a bit of an outsider from the stand-up comedy scene, I didn't know that Takando Toshi had designed this, but from an ordinary Japanese perspective, I think the shirt would look too childish for someone older than 13 or so. But then, that's the charm of it, I suppose. "Oh, how daring to wear something as funky as that, ha, ha!" might be the meaning of some of the responses. Some might think it's good to be daring, some might not.

Btw, I don't really mind people mixing kawaii into English. I mean, imagine all the people mixing the word "kyuto" into English.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Lion 2008/11/10 10:54
My friend bought the lion shirt last year and wore it in Japan. Most people smiled/laughed and pointed at him while some people actually wanted to take a picture with him.
by Milk rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/10 10:56
Its actually the logo of Taka and Toshi (not Takando Toshi), a manzai duo from Hokkaido.

They were pretty popular last year and are the ones who originated the "obei ka" phrase.

There's a bunch of translated videos of them on youtube:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=taka+and+toshi&sourcei...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Taka and Toshi's T shirt 2008/11/10 12:50
Cool T-shirt! Yep, the association with Taka and Toshi (as above, two people, not one called Takando Toshi!) would make people laugh.

Winterwolf, you would be fighting a losing battle to get people not to mix Japanese with English- you might as well try to convince Japanese people not to use katakana English words when speaking Japanese, it's never going to happen.
by Sira rate this post as useful

.. 2008/11/10 14:17
It's probably not just the shirt itself that made them laugh. They probably found it amusing that a foreigner was wearing the shirt. It's similar to the way some people laugh in America when they see a 70 year old lady wearing a South Park shirt.
by Jerry rate this post as useful

Thanks heaps 2008/11/10 21:25
thanks heaps for your info, I am glad that I now know the meaning of the shirt and I can totally get why they were laughing.... Japanese have a great sense of humour!
Cheers
by Lion Wearing Girl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread