Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visting Tokyo based in Narita 2008/11/9 21:41
Hi there, I have been to stay in Narita a couple of times and the hotels are so much cheaper than that in central Tokyo. I was thinking of basing myself in Narita and then taking the trains to central tokyo everyday and also maybe using the bullet train service to visit Kyoto on a long daytrip - any comments on how feasible that would be with regards to the train timings etc? Many thanks!
by londontraveller  

... 2008/11/10 08:54
I think it is a bad idea based on a wrong assumption.

Bad idea because the one way trip between Narita and central Tokyo takes about 90-120 minutes and costs 1000 to 3000 yen. That's an additional commute of 3 hours per day!

The wrong assumption is that Narita hotels are cheaper than Tokyo hotels. To the opposite! Tokyo has a much larger range of hotels to pick from, some of which costing almost the same than a round trip between Tokyo and Narita.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Tokyo, not Narita 2008/11/10 12:55
I agree with Uji. Even if the hotels were cheaper, that saving will be eaten up be the cost of the commute from Narita to Tokyo, which will cost you a minimum of 2,000 return, and the inconvenience of being so far out of Tokyo.

Rush hour commuting from Narita to Tokyo and back several days in a row doesn't sound like a fun addition to your trip at all, and there are plenty of budget hotels inside Tokyo.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread