Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR or Keisei from Narita 2008/11/12 13:40
I will be arriving at Narita Airport on the 17th Nov (next Monday) on early flight, 7:15am.

My first destination is to Ueno Station. I have JR 7-Days Pass and I know I need to switch train at Tokyo Station if I were to take JR Narita Express before reaching Ueno Station. However, since it's Monday and I probably reach Tokyo station by 8-9am, isn't that the worst time to be on the busiest station, especially for first timer?

Another option i have is to just fork out 1000Y and take Keisei Limited Express that takes me straight to Ueno Station.

Emm... what do you guys think?
by setheo  

. 2008/11/12 15:45
Don't worry, Tokyo is only the eighth busiest station in the system. :)

At that hour, most of the Keisei trains will require you to make a transfer at Aoto. It's a much smaller station than Tokyo, so the transfer's easier, but you will still have to fit yourself and your luggage onto a crowded inbound commuter train. By the time they start running direct (the first such departure is 8:07), you'll miss the peak of rush hour by the time you reach the city on either Keisei or JR. Unless you passed through immigration and customs very quickly, I'd probably stick with the JR option and aim for the 8:11 departure.
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/12 17:15
Nicholas,

Thanks for your suggestion.Will take your advice into consideration. Will take keisei if don't take too long at customs or else saved up 1000Y and board JR.
by setheo rate this post as useful

Trains 2008/11/13 04:30
Using your 7 days JR pass on your first day in Tokyo may not necessarily be the best option if you are planning to travel far from Tokyo for a while and depending on the total length of your stay in Japan. A JR PASS isn't worth it if you only stay in Tokyo.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

keisei skyliner 2008/11/13 07:52
If your first destination is Ueno, I'd *strongly* recommend the Keisei Skyliner. It's a 'proper' train; i.e., forward facing seats, and it goes straight to Ueno, no transfer, in just about an hour. There's also a place for luggage.

It costs 1920, so, yes, kind of pricey, but I took the regular Keisei express when I first got here, and it is way, way better. I've only taken Skyliner to/from Narita since. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm absolutely exhausted when I fly. The Skyliner is a much, much more relaxing ride.

However, Ueno station is going to be *mobbed* at that time of morning. Don't panic!
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/13 08:53
However, the first Skyliner train doesn't leave Narita until 9:23 - not ideal for a passenger arriving over two hours earlier.
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/13 11:53
Monkey see:
I will spend 7 days in Japan but not only in Tokyo; be going to Kyoto and Osaka as well.

Dr. Bob:
I am keeping my options open at the moment; either Keisei Express or JR Narita Express. Since will be traveling on tight budget, don't think would go for Skyliner though.

Yes, quite concern being there at the wrong time with big luggage during peak hours.

Nicholas:
Thanks again. :)
by setheo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread