Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Importing Alcohol 2008/11/13 17:44
I am thinking about taking over a bottle of [Australian] wine over to my friend in Japan. The only problem is that I am only 18 years old, which is the legal drinking age in Oz, but not Japan.
1: Am I legally allowed to do this?
2: If I do run the gamut, are there any penalties, or will the wine just be confiscated?
Thanks in advance
by MM  

1 bottle of wine 2008/11/13 20:24
Strictly speaking no allowance under the age of 20. What refers to your personal dury-free allowance. Because of the cabin baggage regulations you will have to pack the bottle in your checked suitcase. So I would do: Pack it nicely so every officer inspecting your suitcase sees it is a present. The customs baggage check is after immigration. In worst case you will have to empty it in presence of the officer.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Similar inquiry 2009/1/26 07:53
I'm 19 and I'd like to bring in two bottles of alcohol into Japan as gifts. If the bottles are confiscated, what happens to me? Do I just have to give up the alcohol, or will I be arrested as well?

Would it be worth it to send the bottles to my friends address in advance?
by Max (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/26 15:04
I'm also 18, and I am currently in Japan. On my way over here I carried two bottles of wine for presents. On my customs dec. form I wrote 2 bottle of wine under the alcohol section. I didn't have any trouble.
by Kate (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/1/27 08:12
Thanks for the reply, Kate. So, you think honesty is the best policy in this case? Where are you from, anyway?
by max (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread