Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan in Recession - What to do? 2008/11/18 12:43
Some of you have probably heard the news, but it seems Japan has fallen into a recession. I'm actually a little bit scared as of now because of this as I'm supposed to go Japan next April for school and stay there for a while, and after hearing this, so many things are running through my mind.

Such as, what if something goes wrong with my paperwork, immigration wise? Or what if when I move, there will be no jobs, can't afford an apartment, no money, etc...?
There's a lot of 'what if's' going on in my head right now, so I'm freaking out a bit and worried something is going to go wrong.

Any advice/insight?
by ruu  

... 2008/11/18 18:20
Japan's population is in recession. Therefore, I think it is natural for Japan's economy to be in recession, as well, especially during a time when most industrial nations are in recession or at the verge of recession.

It won't have any influence on immigration and most living related issues, though. The currency exchange could have more impact on your plans. The yen is currently one of the world's strongest currencies.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Not that bad 2008/11/18 22:17
In your situation, it is unlikely that the recession will have much effect on you. Don't worry too much, but do bring plenty of start-up funds with you in case it takes a while to find a job.
by Sira rate this post as useful

i wonder 2008/11/19 01:51
I wonder if you actualy know what a recession means ?

People talk about a recession when the economy growth has decreased for 2 consecutive years.

It can be as minor as .00001 %
It doesn't have to be like the US is currently undergoing for a country to tell that it is undergoing a recession.
by martijn rate this post as useful

recession 2008/11/19 05:49
I lived as a young man in a country in recession for many years. For the average person who doesn't play the stock exchange there isn't much of an impact. Of course in times of recession companies hire less staff and even lay off some but they still need staff. My parents started their married life during
wartime, when times were really though and goods were in short supplies, but they went to movies and even to restaurants, even thought the menu was limited to potatoes served different ways and a tiny piece of meat or fish. Don't panic!
by Red frog rate this post as useful

no 2008/11/19 07:23
it makes no difference unless you're starting a business.

even then japan's economy is so huge it still won't make a difference for you.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

recession 2008/11/19 07:42
I agree with red frog and winterwolf- you worry about a recession if you are an executive in a finance company or construction company. I think the negative growth is 0.4 percent or similar, i.e. small. What affect are you imagining it will have other than it taking a bit longer to find a job?

prepare well 2008/11/19 08:38
I am no professional when it comes to foreign student problems in Japan, and I don't mean to sound negative. But I think we have to admit that when the economy goes down, it hits the minorities first.

Recent news reports have told us that many Japanese people who were getting ready to study aboard were discouraged because their agent broke down. Workers including foreign ones are loosing jobs for reasons hard to understand.

To utilize these facts and bring it to a positive side, make sure your agent is licenced and reliable. Make sure everything you do is legal. Make sure you have friends you can talk to, and consult to people when you have problems. Foreign language consulting is available at most city halls in Japan, and the school should be able to talk to you, too.

I do agree that you shouldn't panic and you need not to. Everyone feels restless when they're starting something new. That's probably what you're feeling now. But good preparation is always necessary.
by Uco rate this post as useful

actually 2008/11/19 10:30
now is probably the best time ever to start a business or work in japan and send money home.

the yen is at major heights against most foreign currencies at the moment, and every time a big global recession hits it usually gets like that. so come on over and exploit the world financial markets by saving money here and sending it back home for 30% profit (or more depending where you're from) when you eventually decide to return.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Starting a business? 2008/11/19 19:03
I agree that if you have a stable income in Japan you are in a good position if you are able to send money home.

However established businesses in Japan are feeling the pinch right now due to a dive in consumer spending, and anyone whose business relies partly or wholly on exports (like one of the companies I work for) is also suffering as the strong yen makes sales go down.

This suggests it may not be the ideal time right now to start up a business.

recession 2008/11/20 04:56
Actually the official definition of recession is 2 consecutive quarters of contraction/negative growth. In the coming times, it will not be difficult to achieve that. Your prospects of finding work in such conditions anywhere have to be worse than they are in more bouyant economic times-especially in a country with a very strong work ethic and very little welfare ethic -one would imagine with a growing pool of unemployed locals many will be prepared to do any work to get by and simply avoid the unemployed stigma.
Of course, a huge factor is also your skills and what the specific situation is in regards to that area of employment.It would seem unwise to simply show up with very limited money reserves and rely on finding a job quickly, but with vagaries.
by Patrick rate this post as useful

also. 2008/11/20 05:02
A less important factor perhaps, also, but one which may come in to play, is that in any place, any country, in tough times, resentment to foreigners who come and ostensibly take jobs from the locals increases. Perhaps at least , dont be naive and be astonished to encounter such sentiment.Japan is also a country I think its fair to say, where underlying so-called ''xenophobia'' is at least as strong as average.

Anticipate it, and also understand rather than dismiss it .
by Patrick rate this post as useful

eikaiwa 2008/11/23 05:45
Since Japan is in a recession, wouldn't that mean that people are less likely to spend money, so that means that perhaps they are less likely to go to the English conversation schools and that can effect people over there teaching English right?
by wolf blitzer rate this post as useful

teaching 2008/11/23 08:45
Yes, that may happen. In the last recession though, class numbers went up because people think they need new skills in order to be employable. The situation with the eikaiwa industry this time around is a bit different though, so we can't predict what will happen yet.

No large schools have folded yet in any case, and there is still ALT teaching, which is unaffected by the recession.

reply to this thread