Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Christmas in Japan 2008/11/20 12:48
Ok, so my penpal(Japanese) and I want to exchange presents for Christmas. The thing is, I heard that exchanging Xmas gifts is considered romantic. I like my penal as a friend only, so I was wondering if this is true? If so, what can I do to make sure they don't get the wrong idea?

Thanks!
Marie
by Marie  

don't worry 2008/11/20 12:49
It's romantic for couples to exchange Christmas gifts, however when friends or family members do it, it isn't, just like where you're from.

Japanese people are also aware of the universal gift giving tradition at Christmas in many western countries, so don't worry. It's very unlikely anything other than friendship will be read into your gift.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Options 2008/11/20 14:40
Yeah I agree, Marie it is true that Christmas is considered to be a romantic holiday and New Years holds more weight as a major holiday there. Actually to be correct Christmas Eve is the biggest holiday for couples besides Valentines Day. I would recomend a small gift. Nothing too fancy so that you can show that you like your pen pal as a friend only. For me home made things usually mean there is something extra in there feelings twords you. So maybe a CD of your local culture. A low cost DVD of your favorite movie.

Personally thought the best thing I ever got from my pen pal is photos. Not neccesairly of her but of her town, people, places that she goes to things like that. Add a little note saying hello and that you appreicte there friend ship would be great.

Although..my pen pal is my fiance now..but I had a love at first sight kind of thing happen to me so if it is just friends pictures are great. I say no home made things because to me personally it means a lot and shows that a person does care a lot about me to do something extra just to make me happy.

I am sorry I tend to ramble on a bit. Well anyways good luck and enjoy your friendship =)

Dave
by Dave rate this post as useful

friends always 2008/11/20 23:23
If the penpal is someone of the opposite gender, why not attach a note saying, "Friends always." That would avoid complications.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/21 00:47
It is not a big deal as you might think. Japanese people are away (from media and others) that Christmas is gift giving time. If you're just penpals I don't think you're penpal would think anything romantic of it, as they are aware of Christmas. I've given my penpal stuff in the past without any miscommunication.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread