Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does this mean? 2008/11/22 06:54
Could someone please tell me what, 婚期 means?

My host mother suggested I go running with my host sister, but my host sister didn't want me to go with. It seems like she self-concious, and her mother said it was because she was''婚期 ''. How would you translate it in this instance?
by Gundamfan  

. 2008/11/22 14:15
Are you a male or female?
I guess male with your handlename?

婚期
konki

Means someone is of marriageable age or chance of marriage.

I guess if you are a guy she really doesn't want to be running out with you, or in the sense she'd rather be looking for a boyfriend/husband. Again I can't really translate the whole context without really knowing more facts.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/11/22 14:57
Thanks for your post, John! I understand that it meant marriagble age, but I didn't know if it could also be used in the sense of "puberty" or "Adolescence"?

Yes, as you guessed, I am in fact a male. I was 16 at the time and she was 14. Which, is a "bit" young to marry, which is why I was wondering if it could be taken as meaning something like a puberty or something else.

Is there any information you need? Let me know, I'd be more than happy to supply you. Just let me know. Thanks for your answer!!
by gundamfan rate this post as useful

,... 2008/11/22 17:27
I think that was your host mother's humorous way of describing your host sister's feelings - a bit embarrassed to be running alone with a boy, self-couscious, as you say :) The word itself is just used to refer to marriageable age, not to puberty or anything else. So I think what she meant was "Oh well, she's a bit self-conscious (like women at THAT age tend to be)" with a smile.
by AK (Japanese woman) rate this post as useful

Thanks, Ak! 2008/11/23 05:01
Yeah, I figured it was probably something like that. My host mother did have a big smile on her face while she said that;)

Its kind of like a running joke between my host sister and me know...
by gundamfan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread