Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

At what age can civil servants retire? 2008/11/26 11:29
Is retirement based on a combination of age and years of service?
by George Hewson  

age of retirement for civil servants 2008/11/26 21:58
No, there is a fixed age depending on your job.
by Uco rate this post as useful

age of retiring 2008/11/27 18:22
In my visit in Japan last month I saw many elder people working. What is the maximum age to retire?
by sofi rate this post as useful

Sofi 2008/11/27 21:25
Sofi,

In Japan, every person over 15 with a legal status is free to work no matter how old they are.

Usually retirement ages at companies and civil organizations are somewhere in their 60s, but you are free to go look for other jobs after retirement. Also, people in higher positions like the CEO can usually work longer than other employees in the organization. Of course, self-employed people such as freelance workers and shop owners don't have retirement rules.

Isn't that how it works in most countries?

retire 2008/11/29 18:02
Thanks for your answer. You are right I would have to ask my question if people work in older age because the payment after retire isn't enough or just they choose to be busy?

. 2008/11/30 03:38
I think the reasons can be both depending on the person; because of the payment and because they choose to be busy.

But at 65, modern humans are still alive and kicking, so I can't imagine too many people wanting to stay home and do nothing.

In fact, (maybe this is what you were asking about but) the Japanese, especially males in the current age 70s generation, had lived being totally devoted to their companies. Therefore, after retirement, many of them not knowing what to do became depressed.

In order to avoid this, an awareness arose that people should find something to do after retirement. So many would find work if they can enjoy that, and others would find voluntary jobs while others would find hobbies. For example, I know a couple of cooking groups where the members are all retired males. They are so creative and adventerous.

retire 2008/11/30 23:18
Thanks, got perfect answer

reply to this thread