Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can i get married in Okinawa ? 2008/11/26 23:24
Hello i am from Germany and my fiance is now station in Okinawa. We tried to get married in Germany but its just to hard to get all the papers together they asking for. Now we are planning on getting married sometime beginning march in Okinawa. Does anyone know what i need for that and where we can get married. Is there any military way for a wedding or do we have to go over the japanese gouverment ?
I am asking this because my fiance is right now deployed to curacao so he cant look around yet.

I hope someone can answer me this question.
Thanks Dana
by Dana  

Me too! 2008/11/28 18:54
Strange. I'm trying to find the exact same information too (for March 2009).

I've learnt that even if neither of you are Japanese (as is my situation) you still need to register at the Japanese city hall in the area you live in (i.e. Chatan, Okinawa City...). There is no way for you to get married on-base, not legally and offially anyhow. You fill in paperwork at the town hall and that makes you married; a cermony and white dress can come later and are for show only.

You should ask at the base legal office. They should have a document which will guide you though it. The difficult part is gathering the required documents together and working out who to take them too (not a lot of English at town halls). Thats the point i'm at now.

If you want more information, leave an email address and i'll be in contact.
by Iko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread