Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

religious habits 2008/11/27 21:17
What's the meaning of dressing (usually with red cloth) tombstones or statues in shrines?
by sofi  

... 2008/11/28 07:43
I think you are referring to the tombstones of dead or unborn children, which can be found at some Buddhist temples in combination with statues of Jizo Buddha.

The clothes, I believe, are to protect the children. You also often see toys around these tombstones.

More details:
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/jizo1.shtml
by Uji rate this post as useful

habits 2008/11/29 18:16
Uji
1. Your answer fits part of what we've seen, but the other part is like the fox in http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/oinari.shtml

2. This is the opportunity to thank you specially and thank to all the others who answered us for useful tips, which helped to make our trip to Japan, just wonderful! We passed from Towada-co to Miyajima three and a half weeks and really enjoyed.
by sofi rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/30 08:00
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your trip, and look forward to answer questions for your next trip to Japan ;)

.. 2008/11/30 23:22
You can never know...
but you forgot to answer about my first question
by sofi rate this post as useful

... 2008/11/30 23:57
The first question is maybe answered on the following page:
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/shrine-guide-2.shtml

Follow up question on this 2009/1/31 06:33
Hi

Where are these statues typically found? Shrines? Temples?

And is it appropriate just to go up to a statue and tie on this red bib or is there typically a ritual for this?

Lastly this would be for a close friend I consider close enough to be my Sister is it appropriate for me to do this as a way of honoring her lost angels?
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/31 10:40
Where are these statues typically found? Shrines? Temples?

The Jizo statues are typically found in temples. Especially the ones of the Jodo sect of Japanese Buddhism.

But I am afraid I don't know the answer to your other questions.

If you want to put a bib on 2009/1/31 17:26
There are various theories on how they became to wear red bibs, but basically, those whose babies have deceased either after birth or during pregnancy puts them on and they must be red.

If you go to the countryside, you see jizo situated along a lonely street or even deep in the mountains, and often rumor has it that no one knows by whom and when the red bibbs are put on and off.

But I figure that it would be best to ask a temple and perhaps give a prayer there as you put on a bib to honor the souls of lost babies you know of.

Otherwise, most people just give a silent prayer in front of a jizo without putting anything on it.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

..... 2009/1/31 22:16
Thanks!
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

on a happier note 2009/2/10 19:50
Gifts of hats and clothing to Jizo are also offered by the mothers of sick children who have recovered from their illnesses.
by tsurara rate this post as useful

reply to this thread