Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Being deaf and work in Japan 2008/11/29 00:44
Hi everyone,

I've been spending most of my time trying to understand how the immigration process works adn everything else. I just arrived from Japan three days ago. It was just awesome! I like the culture, the people are very friendly adn most of it, the food is very healthy!

I have a girlfriend there. She thought that the japanese food may congestionate me, but it was not. I liked everything I had to eat, including of course, whale food.

Well, my girfriend and me, we are both deaf. She is born in Japan and currently live in Tokyo. I was born in Romania and I grew up in Canada. I'm already 30 years old and I want to move there and experience new things. Being deaf, I do not know how it looks like there. I have many deaf penpals ni Tokyo and outside of Tokyo. Many of them told me that I should follow a specific program in order to find a job.

The question is: Do all foreign people that move there follow a specific program to be placed in any workplace ?

As for the language barrier, it's not a problem. Japan language may take some time to assimilate than the other languages I had to learn (French, English, Spanish and German). I only have to be able to write in Japanese, rather than speak. I can speak some words in Japanese, but it's a shy start. There may be more things to come.

Hoe's the immigration process there? Do all people need some kind of visa to stay for a longer period? My girlfriend and me, we will marry soon by the end of 2009 or at the beginning of 2010. I heard that once you are married to a Japanese people, you can get a permanent status. Is that true ?

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks a lot
DeafWorld
by DeafWorld  

What kind of job? 2008/11/29 09:49
The biggest issue for you would be what kind of job- what previous work experience do you have? IT skills for example are useful for Japan. Many people come here on programmes but those are mostly to teach English conversation.

Yes, if you are married to a Japanese you can apply for permanent residence after a few years.

by Sira rate this post as useful

follow up 2008/11/29 10:46
Thank for your answer. I have IT skills in computer programming, web design and computer maintenance. I worked as a computer programmer in both public and private sectors. I also have skills in administration and accounting.

The thing is how to apply for an IT job even if I marry a japanese woman plus I am also deaf. I do not know if it's really necessary to speak Japanese or just English? In the big business place around Tokyo and Shinjuku station, there are many foreigners, but do they have to speak fluent Japanese or English is just enough ?

On the other side, for the marriage, does it take some time to process the immigration papers? I tried to find some info on how much time it takes to live in Japan once married. I haven't found an answer. If you know, it might be useful. At least, I'm going again to Japan on April 21, 2009, but this time for 20 days. I don't know if I will have time for everything cause I want to move in the summer-autumn 2009, at least winter 2010 if possible.

Thanks again
DeafWorld
by DeafWorld rate this post as useful

IT jobs in Japan 2008/11/29 10:51
Many people find IT jobs through the big IT recruiters- Robert Half, Robert Walters, Michael Page, James Harvard- I recommend contacting them.

The foreigners you see in Japan will have all kinds of Japanese levels from none at all to very fluent.

There are a lot of overseas companies with offices in Japan who want English-speaking IT staff- the working language is usually English. Being able to speak (and read) Japanese obviously broadens your options a lot.

I can't say how much being deaf will affect your chances of employment- you would know better than I do.

Contact your nearest Japanese Embassy for info on having your marriage registered in Japan and applying for a spouse visa.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread