Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

awesome idea? whadya think? 2008/11/29 16:59
Alright so here's the thing. I'm 20 years old, going to Tokyo in january from the 14-23 and all these hostels I look at look lame to me. So I'm now considering, instead of getting a week at a hostel in a neighborhood that'll probably bore me anyway after a day or two, buying a 7 day rail pass and just go to random places. Wherever I want, whenever I want, and find a roof to sleep under where I likes it.
I will be travelling very light, just me and my backpack with some clothes, toothpaste and stuff, and camera.

Genius? Or my ''think I can do anything'' young mind getting the better of me?

In all honesty, whatever people here say I'll probably end up doing it anyway. I just want to know what the japanese experts would be able to tell me about this idea that could either be absolutely brilliant, or just get me frozen to death since I'm 6' tall and like 150 pounds with almost zuh-eero fat on me.
by Steven  

lots of people do something similar 2008/11/30 09:42
I think your idea is....normal. Plenty of people do what you are suggesting- it's called "backpacking" ;-) I did the same thing in Europe and South-East Asia in my 20s.

That is if you're not thinking of sleeping rough? Not recommended in Japan in mid-winter, you will freeze, if the police don't move you on that is.

Hostels can fill up at that time as it is one of the seasons when university students travel so it is worth calling at least a day in advance to see if they have beds available, otherwise you may be stuck paying for a more expensive hotel. There is a website that I think is called couchsurfing.com you might want to look at.

With only a week it may be cheaper for you to take overnight buses rather than buy a rail pass, which you might not get your money's worth from.

You will need to bring warm clothes. Temperatures don't often go below zero in the main areas that people visit- Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima etc, but the winds can be strong and biting- you will definitely need a thick coat and a hat and gloves, as you will be spending a lot of time outside.
by Sira rate this post as useful

asklf 2008/11/30 11:28
Yeah I started thinking that a rail pass wouldn't be that good of an idea either. Tokyo alone will probably slap the stuffins out of me since I've never been there before. I'm really not that concerned about temperatures though, here in Salt Lake in winter it gets below freezing all the time with winds that make my face hurt. And still I'll just wear my sleeveless shirts with my light, hoodie, jacket thing.

I'm just trying to think of alternatives to a hostel because I don't want to find out that my room is far away from stuff and I'll have to commute every morning and night just to be in a more interesting neighborhood.

Now I'm thinking I'll probably just buy a night or two, look around at other parts of town and find other places to stay if I don't like that one.

Meh. I'll think of something. Thanks for your answer Sira
by Steven rate this post as useful

Sira 2008/11/30 12:38
Sira made a great suggestion with picking overnight buses over a JR pass. I've taken quite a few buses in my time here in Japan and they're more than adequate for long distance travels (although I still think too many rest stops are made but I guess that's a result of the average age of passengers...)

Anyhow, it's a great idea and for me, the best part was that a bus usually arrives quite early in the morning, giving you a nice head start in your activities for the day. I can guarantee you that it'll be more fun and convenient than staying at a hostel.
by Trenton rate this post as useful

hostels-usually in the centre 2008/11/30 15:00
Steven, in many Japanese cities hostels tend to be right in the centre of town, usually very close to a train or subway station, with loads of interesting places within a fairly short ride, or possibly just a short walk. You don't need to worry about being stuck out in the suburbs unless you choose to stay there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/1 10:22
Steven,
In my opinion,I think you ought to get the JR Pass because that will be so convenient if you are to travel wherever and whenever. Use the night trains with the JR Pass so it won't be necessary to go back and forth to the hostel from interesting places. Night trains connecting Kansai/Tokyo/North Honshu and Hokkaido can bring you to wherever pleases you.
by lester rate this post as useful

reply to this thread