Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Proposal (sort of) 2008/12/1 12:03
Hello, just a quick question, I'm at uni and we have a system whereby the second year students become 'college parents' for the first year students, and therefore you marry another second year student. We take this in a jokey way, but people tend to get rings and take people for meals etc.

I'm asking my Japanese friend, and I thought it would be nice if I could ask her in Japanese. I don't want anything overly romantic as obviously it isn't a real marriage! If there was just some short saying or well known phrase, or even just literally "Will you marry me". It's an odd request I know, and I probably put it in the wrong section but any help would be greatly appreciated.
by Peter  

... 2008/12/1 12:51
Boku no tame ni isshou miso shiru o tsukutte kudasai.

Will you make miso soup for me for the rest of my life?

See this thread for other ideas:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+23391
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/1 23:32
Kekkon shitekure masuka? (Will you marry me?)

Kekkon shiyouka? (Shall we get married?)

Kekkon Shiyou. (Let's get married)

I am not keen on Miso soup thing personally.....
by . rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/12/2 08:33
OK thanks, I used the basic 'will you marry me' one and seemed to get the pronunciation right as she understood :D. She said she agreed to marry a (female) friend in the event that neither of them got proposed to, and once she's cleared that up it should be fine.

Thanks very much
by Peter rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/2 08:39
I am not keen on Miso soup thing personally...

Yea, I thought it a little odd at first but I have been assured that it is a genuine way of proposing. It is kinda funny, and seems to me that it will fit the tone that the OP is trying to set, and I think it shows a little more research than a literal translation. Some may be offended by it but his Japanese partner should get it.

... 2008/12/2 08:44
oops, looks like Peter posted again just before me. glad you got everything sorted.

reply to this thread