Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need the meaning of these names 2008/12/3 02:33
Hi hi Everyone, hope you can help. I'm of Japanese decent 3rd generation American born. I've started my family and need some translation of family names that need to be included with the next generation. What are the meanings of Hisaichi and Tokuichi? Both were male names (grandfather and his brother) and from what I can jog out of anyone's memory Hisa means first son (?) but ichi is a mystery. So is Toku.
Please help! I can't very well name my coming son after great uncle toku if I don't even know what it means!
Thanks a bunch,
-Andrea
by andreae  

Names 2008/12/3 11:19
Andreae,

Unfortunately, without knowing the exact kanji (Japanese characters) used for those names, no one can give you a reliable answer.
Hisaichi could possibly be written as 久一, 尚一, or 寿一.
Tokuichi could possibly be written as 徳一, 得一, or 篤一, amongst others.

I don't think "Hisa" has any meanings that indicate a first son, although "ichi" means "one" in both of these names. Maybe that was the source of the confusion.
If names ending in "ichi" were a tradition in your family, why not create your own with a meaning and sound that you like?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

continued... 2008/12/3 11:22
Oops, I pressed the send button too soon...

On the subject of new names ending in "-ichi", what about the name Shinichi (新一), meaning "new one". To me that sounds rather appropriate for a new addition to a long line of "ichis".
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread