Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Timing & Crowds 2008/12/5 04:38
I'm planning to visit Tsukiji market on Friday, January 9. I noticed that the fish auction will be closed to tourists then - I'm not too worried about that though since I'm more interested in the wholesale area and having sushi for breakfast. If the auction's the best reason to get there early, how best to balance the subway rush hour, breakfast crowds, and seeing the wholesale area?
Thanks,
Tom
by Tom  

don't pass up the breakfast 2008/12/5 09:24
Auction aside, wandering around the market area was pretty fun.

I would still recommend getting there early to get the breakfast. When I went, I got in line a little before 7 am and waited about an hour and change to be seated (party of 2). I think waiting about an hour or so for the breakfast was worth it. We had a really good time at the breakfast.

When we left the breakfast, around 8 am, the line was at least three times as long, so figure over a 2 hour wait.

I guess it would depend on your patience.

As far as the subway crowds go; it's basically crowded all the time, and nearly unbearable for rush hour. The rush hour lasts anywhere from 5.30 to 9.30, so if you wait, I think you will miss out on all the activity in the market and a shorter line.

We got on one of the first trains to Tsukiji, and we started on the Chiyoda line; it wasn't overwhelming.

I've learned that when doing stuff in Tokyo, it's better to do it earlier than later.
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

depends 2008/12/5 12:13
we got there at 9.30am and had a great time in the market area just looking at all the amazing fish and then other stuff in the outer areaa as well. we had a "brunch": late brekky/early lunch, and deliberately chose one of the stalls with no lines (wondering about why, I might add, but...) and had a great stress free time. Then I recommend the walk through Hama Rikyu and the boat ride up to Asakusa, followerd by subway to Ginza late in afternoon..fantastic day
by fmj rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/12/6 04:18
Dr. Bob - thanks for your comments, that's exactly what I was looking for.
fmj - I was thinking about doing something like that, except it seems the boat doesn't run in the winter? Or am I missing something? Instead, I think we'll go from Tsukiji to Ginza, then take the subway to Asakusa for the afternoon/evening (have a restaurant we'd like to go to for dinner there).
by Tom rate this post as useful

not sure 2008/12/6 05:54
www.suijobus.co.jp/english/index.html
Hi Tom
your day sounds great..not sure about the winter boat trip..the above link SEEMS to run every day ...maybe a local would know better....have fun...
by fmj rate this post as useful

crazy chefs 2008/12/7 12:06
I'm sure the sushi is good everywhere in Tsukiji, but I'd really recommend the 'restaurant' because the chefs are all fired up, even at 6 am. You're allowed to take pictures of them and talk to them a bit too.

They were harassing one of the locals when I was there: 'oh you're back! You can't stay away from us because we're so great!' *Waving the knives around*
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

Thanks again 2008/12/9 01:40
Thanks for clarifying the boat schedule, fmj. Not sure where I heard the boat wasn't running. Might see how the timing works to do that instead of the subway from Ginza to Asakusa.
Dr Bob, that restaurant sounds interesting. The name of it is just 'Restaurant'? Is it easy to find?
by Tom rate this post as useful

reply to this thread