Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Quite an odd Request, this is. 2008/12/5 15:27
How might one say "You're manly enough for me!" in a really fruity way?

I know enough Japanese to know if i've gotten a correct translation, but not enough to make it myself.

It's for school, I swear.
by Aizenta  

. 2008/12/6 00:53
Anata wa watashi ni totte jubun otoko rashii desu. (‚ ‚È‚½‚ÍŽ„‚Æ‚Á‚Ä•ª’j‚炵‚¢‚Å‚·B)
by . rate this post as useful

fruity 2008/12/6 14:03
Fruity, right?

Can you give us some context? For example, if the guy said, "Well, I'm not really manly, so..." Then her reply would be,

"Atashi niwa juubun ni otoko-rashii kedo ne."
or
"Atashi niwa sorede juubun."

or if you need it to be fruitier,

"Atashi niwa juubun ni otoko-rashii wa."

But if she's saying it out of the blue, you need a word to mean "you," but the word would depend on the situation. And the speaker is a woman, right?

Hmm, sounds like a fun school.
by Uco rate this post as useful

hahaha oh wow 2008/12/6 14:11
Well it's kind of out of the blue, but the one speaking (a very gay man) is hugging the person he is saying it to, so I don't think "you" is required anyway...or is it?
Thanks for the responses so far though.
by Aizenta rate this post as useful

nasty request, not odd one 2008/12/6 15:05
Good thing that you don't live in Canada as calling a gay person "fruity" in school or at work would get you in trouble (same with using racist or demeaning names)
by sensei 2 rate this post as useful

options 2008/12/6 17:38
Aizenta,

So it's a male speaker, but gay. Well, you might be aware that it really nails the character if you use words like "atashi" or "boku" or what not. Perhaps you would deliberately want to avoid using the "I" term.

How about, just
"Otoko-ppoi ne."
or
"Juubun otoko-ppoi yo."
or depending on the context,
"Kimi, otoko-ppoi na."

Actually, as I write this, I am realising that I don't really understand what you mean by saying "(You're manly) enough (for me)!" out of the blue. Is it something like an audition? Because, when someone says "... enough" usually it implies that there was something right before that scene that makes you want to think that the other party isn't "..."

whoops 2008/12/6 19:57
I guess I forgot to specify a bunch of things...

Well, to clarify, he is saying it out of the blue because the person he is hugging is female, but very boyish. I wish to imply that the speaker is sexually attracted to the girl because she is boyish enough to seem like a male.

And thank God I don't live Canada.
Thanks for helping a bit more, Uco. I hope I was able to clarify my request enough for you.

Another suggestion 2008/12/6 20:24
If that's supposed to be a compliment (in a way - because the gay guy is trying to say he's attracted to her), then I might suggest using the word "handsome" instead, an adjective traditionally used to refer to men.

"Otoko-ppoi" is more like "mannish," in a way implying that she is lacking qualities that a woman should have, and "otoko-rashii" is more like "looking like a man should," so not really a compliment unless it is directed at a man.

- Hansamu de suteki da yo. (You're handsome and great/I like that.)

...would get the message across, I'd say.
by AK (Japaense woman) rate this post as useful

"man" is the key, right? 2008/12/7 17:18
Well, I thought that probably the "punch line" of this dialect is that he calls a onna "otoko-rashii" or "otoko-ppoi." The word "man (otoko)" is necessary.

The term "handsome," on the other hand, is quite a common compliment to a career woman type but feminine female, so it wouldn't be funny or anything.

But actually, I still don't really understand why he says it out of the blue. So is it like they weren't having any conversation, and he just steps up to her and hugs her and says the line? In that case, I think people would just say, "You're so mannish. (kimi tte otoko-rashii ne)" or something. I don't really understand why he's saying "enough" and "to me."

Hope it helps anyway.

hmmmm 2008/12/8 15:57
I guess I can change it a little.
No I just wonder if I'd be able to subsitute "ne" in Uco's above suggestion with "wa". For a fruitier effect.

wa 2008/12/8 17:24
"I just wonder if I'd be able to subsitute "ne" in Uco's above suggestion with "wa". For a fruitier effect. "

Sure, but the tone would be slightly different, and I wouldn't know if that would fit the context. You can still make it;

kimi (or anata) tte otoko-rashii wa ne.

weeee 2008/12/9 09:24
Alright, thanks guys.

reply to this thread