Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are these bad words to use in a class? 2008/12/7 08:33
are these words classroom friendly. i will be acting out a skit containing these words/phrases~if they are too bad will you please give me the nicer version
*Nobita-kun wa baka da yo. のび太君は馬鹿だよ(Nobita is stupid)

*Yamete! Bakana mane wa shinaide ne. ehhh!! kenkayamero!馬鹿な真似はしないでね。喧嘩やめろ! (Stop! Don’t do anything stupid. Stop fighting)

*Damatte-yo!

*Kenka uten noka? (you want to fight?)
by LanguageStudent  

... 2008/12/7 12:47
LanguageStudent,

If you are asking if you, as a student, can use those phrases in your class, I'd say, no, at least some of them. They are quite rough words.

But if you are going to act out a skit, and the skit contains these phrases - apparently those come up in a quarrelling/fighting scene - there is no harm, and on the contrary, there is no way to "tame" quarrelling words.

I just want to make sure that you are aware that some are apparently boys' wording, and one is girls' speech.

Um... on another thought, if you want to have a less colloquial version (more "textbook" style) so that more students will understand it, I can do that for you too. What I mean by that is, for example, saying "Kenka wo utte iru no ka? "instead of "Kenka utten no ka?"
by AK rate this post as useful

level of rudeness 2008/12/7 13:09
Is the same person saying these phrases? You have some pretty big changes in register there, for example "Baka na mane o shinai de" is relatively mild, so if the same person then said "Kenka yamero!" (quite harsh) it would be odd.

"Oshaberi" is also a very mild phrase, whereas "Kenka uttenno ka?" is pretty rude, and you wouldn't be likely to hear those two phrases in the same argument between Japanese people.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/7 13:12
Sira,
Seeing the name Nobita-kun, I automatically assumed this was taken from the cartoon Doraemon, and I associated the rough ones with Jaian, the mild one that says "Nobita-KUN" with Dekisugi, the feminine one with Shizuka-chan, etc. I think those are said by different characters - I hope I'm not wrong :)
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/12/7 13:29
wow thanks for the replies everyone. and yeah i am doing a skit with doraemon characters so yup these are some lines with doraemon and suneo having a fight and shizuka trying to break them up.
by LanguageStudent rate this post as useful

reply to this thread