Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I take the JLPT in Japan? 2008/12/10 14:20
I'm looking waaay into the future now, but the N2 and N1 level JLPT tests will be offered in Japan and a few other Asian countries in July 2011. If I travel to Japan in July 2011 (not just for the test, of course), could I also take the N2 JLPT while I'm there?

I guess what I'm asking is, can an American apply for and take the JLPT in Japan, even if I don't life in Japan?
by Josh  

re 2008/12/10 18:44
Yes you can
by Anomy rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/11 10:32
Anomy,

can you clarify your answer? From my experience taking the JLPT in Japan, you would probably need to be a resident in order to apply. The applications must be purchased at bookstores in Japan approx 3 months before the test. You are required to have a mailing address with your name on the mailbox in Japan for them to send you your test center info which is essentially an ID and required to take the test.

Josh,

Based on this, I don't think that you can apply to take the test unless you have someone in Japan that can do the application process for you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Address 2008/12/15 09:33
Not only do you need to pay through the Japan Post or direct bank transfer, but you need an address in Japan.

It -is- possible to take the test in Japan if somebody will help you. There is a place to put "in care of" on the address, etc., but you'll need to procure the official application to be sure.
by din rate this post as useful

reply to this thread