Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translation of otsukare sama desita 2008/12/12 00:49
I have heard peole say this as they leave, but the teacher said, 'test otsukare sama desita'' Does it mean, 'you did well?''
by Coach  

... 2008/12/12 10:03
It does not mean "you did WELL" in the sense that your grades were great (you never know yet until the teacher checks your test papers), but it means something like: "You worked hard at the test, which I appreciate" in this instance.

"Otsukaresama" is by now such a common, standing phrase just like "Yoroshiku," that it is difficult to give an exactly corresponding single translation in English.

When people say this as they leave their offices after work, it simply means "We've worked hard (- that's all for now = bye for today)" and after participating, for example, in a training session, the instructor might say this, and I would interpret that as "Thank you for participating (in the training)."
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread