Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tatami mats 2008/12/13 09:06
How do you clean tatami mats?
by Marcello  

Hi 2008/12/13 16:56
You wipe them down with warm water and a gentle soap. theyre very durable
by Mika rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/13 20:56
Just make sure you don't leave the tatami mats wet/damp; if you wipe them down with water and mild soap, be sure to wipe them dry with a piece of dry cloth afterwards, or air the room completely to let the mats dry. They don't like moisture.
In the first place, vacuuming it (along the straw, never across) will keep it fairly clean too :)
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Clean what? 2008/12/14 00:26
It depends on what you want to clean off. If there are no obvious dirt or stains, all you have to do is to vacume or broom regularly. You need to exchange mats once in a few years, though. Also, don't keep your futon laid on the tatami at all times.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/12/14 13:53
I just wanted to know wether to sweep or wipe the mats. I ate in the room and there are a few crumbs. Thank you for all the answers, I will be careful when I vacuum that room.
by Marcello rate this post as useful

ideas 2008/12/14 23:03
Marcello, if they're not oily or moist crumbs I would just use a vacume cleaner. If you are worried about oil or any kind of stains or stickiness, after vacume-cleaning, I would put a bit of dish-washing soap on a cloth and wipe it. Then, as mentioned, be sure to finally wipe it with a dry cloth.

When vacuming, sweeping or wiping tatami, be sure to do it in the direction of the way the grass is woven.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread