Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan for family with young kids 2008/12/16 23:57
Hi
I am contemplating a trip to japan during Feb 2009. I have 2 kids (5yr old and 1.5yr old).
I cannot decide between Hokkaido and Osaka+Tokyo.

My preference is for hokkaido, however it is extremely cold during this period so I am concern whether the kids can take it. Also we are taking public transport so I am concern about the high transportation cost and inconvenience as many attractions do not have direct access to JR. Is an osaka/Kyoto/Shirakawa Go/Mt Fuji/Tokyo route more family friendly?

How do i keep cost low and yet travel comfortably with the kids?

Vicky
by Vicky  

japan 2008/12/17 17:18
yes, it might be too cold for the kids.. but also remember that yuki matsuri(snow festival) is on February 5-11 in Hokkaido but you and your kids might enjoy Hokkaido more on the Summer ( starting from July ).

U can get the JR Rail Pass , might be cheaper, but it also depends on where you intend to go :D
by ideru rate this post as useful

travel w/kids 2008/12/17 20:20
I have a 2years old son. I thhink it is hard to go around in Tokyo by public transport.
You had better take hire, taxi, sightseeing bus even if it cost much.
Please refer to web site.

http://www.hello-tokyo.co.jp/english.pdf

http://jtp.zashiki.com/simpleVC_20081217141931.html
by Tomo rate this post as useful

with kids 2008/12/18 06:45
I disagree w/ Tomo! lots of people in Tokyo and other big towns around the world take subways and trains w/ kids. just try not to travel at peak times. As for the original poster, 5 year and 1 year kids are much too young to enjoy Japan or any other place. You should wait until they are older. When I was that age
(from birth to 6 years old) whenever my parents wanted to go away I stayed with older relatives (that's what I was told. I don't remember much about these years)
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread