Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to do on Jan 1st to Jan 4th 2008/12/17 00:08
Hi,

Anyone has any suggestions on where to go from Jan 1st to Jan 4th? I am planning to go to Kinugawa for onsen one of the days. Other than that, am not sure what else can I do. Shopping?

Thanks,
Jen
by Jen  

things to do 2008/12/17 16:53
there are tons of things to do and places to visit.. where in Japan would you like to do.

mine is:
1.1 - Kusatsu Onsen
1.2 - Maybe around Tokyo,Asakusa , Akihabara
1.3 - with my nephews and cousin to Ghibli Musuem

what is your interest ?
by ideru rate this post as useful

zoo 2008/12/17 17:31
Ueno Zoo is open from Jan 2nd.
by Nipponia rate this post as useful

Exactly the worst time to visit 2008/12/17 17:38
There are 3 times you should never ever ever ever ever come to Japan.

The third worst time to come to Japan is sometime in August where the heat and humidity are almost unbearable. If you're in a major city surrounded by concreat, it sucks, you have stay inside.

The second worst time to travel to Japan is during Golden week (early April). Every one has these days off and EVERY travels. Restaurants are full, hotels are full, tourist attractions are overflowing with people. It's a mess to say the least.

And the single worst time you could ever visit Japan is.... New Years. In fact I believe Lonely planet specifiaclly says, "Don't go to Japan on Jan1st-Jan4th" It's new years and everyone spends it woth thier families. So you have a wonderful combination of EVERYONE traveling at the same time, and nothing being open due to the fact everyone is with thier families.

So to answer your question, what is there to do Jan1st-4th, my answer is... nothing.

In all honesty, not EVERYTHING will be closed, but A LOT of things will be, and it's going to be difficult to travel anywhere. Shrines and Temples are going to be packed. Buy a copy of Lonely Planet and plan your trip from it.
by Brigg rate this post as useful

What to do on Jan 1st to Jan 4th 2008/12/17 19:59
Is it really that bad on new years day? I can't imagine how that is. I will be in Tokyo from 22dec till 02 Jan. Does that mean when I leave on the 2nd of januari that the trains to the airport are also completly full?
by wingsofgold rate this post as useful

Boring new year 2008/12/18 00:48
that bad??? would the onsens in kinugawa or the edo wonderland be opened on 1st Jan???

heard that disneysea will also be crowded on the 1st Jan, so really nothign to do on 1st?

then think i'll jus take awalk in the park...
by angel rate this post as useful

Golden Week dates 2008/12/18 00:52
One small correction on Golden Week: it's actually late April/early May.

See http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html
by Kimon rate this post as useful

Not that bad 2008/12/18 07:08
Sure things will be crowded, but I visited Asakusa on Jan 1st one year and it was so crowded that it was actually a very memorable and amazing experience. There are plenty of smaller shrines that may be less crowded while still giving you the experience of new years in Japan. Also, not everything is closed. I'm sure you will find something interesting to do.
by Lg rate this post as useful

Not too interesting 2008/12/18 08:34
Last year my parents came to visit me in Japan. For new years we went to Hiroshima. Unfortunately, the peace museum was closed, as were all the shops. Basically we just saw the A-bomb dome and had nothing else to do after traveling all the way from Osaka.
by Happy boy rate this post as useful

jan 1 2008/12/18 09:47
major establishment and tourist destination would be definitely close. Temples would be very crowded but very interesting to go to.

It is a very important to the japanese as its the beginning of the year, major temples would be very crowded and praying area which are closed on normal days would be open for them to give their offering and prayer. It would be a chance for you to join a buddhist prayer.
Be sure also to observe what people are doing and not take pictures since some area are not allowed to and people are serious in their temple business..

Some Onsen places are open too, that is what I planned on going to Kusatsu Onse a 3 hours train ride away from Tokyo :D
by ideru rate this post as useful

onsen 2008/12/18 15:47
is kusatsu covered by JR pass??

which onsen do you recommend we go for a day trip then?
by junie rate this post as useful

Things to do 2008/12/19 08:36
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

I have checked on Kusatsu onsen. Its quite far from Tokyo right? About 3 hours train plus bus ride. Is there some where that is nearer to Tokyo?

Thanks,
by Jen rate this post as useful

A Few Options I Am Considering 2008/12/19 14:20
Here are a few ideas: I am thinking of Takaoson (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3029.html) and/or other parks in Tokyo proper. I do hear a lot is closed in this period - museums start opening up towards the end of the Jan 1-4 period - but mostly from Jan 3 or 4. I do plan on visiting temple(s) and the Imperial Palace on Jan 2 as it is the only day of the year that some portions of it are open to the public.

I hope this helps.
by Ty rate this post as useful

ATMs Unavailable 2008/12/19 19:45
Be sure to have enought cash on-hand for daily expenses. Most ATMs will not be in service from New Year's Eve to Jan. 3rd. Citibank ATMs are always availble but they're few and far between.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread