Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu to Hokkaido in 30 days? 2008/12/18 10:48
. Want to travel over the summer, around June or July if I can. I want to buy a JR Rail pass and use on JR lines throughout the country to get to places. My plan is to start in Osaka, or OSA and stay in Hotel Toyo for 10 days. While I am there I want to visit Fukuoka's Canal City, Yatais in Nakagawa and Tenjin. This may take two days but I will always be returning to Osaka. After this I would like to see Hiroshima's downtown area, and Miyajima. I hope this will take one day. The following day I would like to see Kyoto's Gion, and Fushimi Inari Shrine. Then I would like to go to Nara's Todaiji Temple for another day. Later I would like to see Nagoya's Sakae. Would also like to get a chance to see Takayama's Old Town. I hope this only takes up 7 days of my stay. I hope to then spend the 8th exploring Osaka's Minami(Namba) region. Then on the following day I hope to see Osaka's Kita(Umeda) region. After 10 days I would like to travel to Tokyo and settle in a hostel there. While in Tokyo I hope to see the Yokohama's Ramen Museum, Minato Mirai, and Chinatown. I also hope to visit a hot spring in Hokone.I would also like to visit downtown Sendai, possibly tasting some gyutan. While in Tokyo I hope to see Shibuya, Shinjuku, Asakusa, Harajuku, Odaiba, Akihabara, Ginza, Roppongi, Sensoji Temple. Ghibli Museum, Tsukishima, NHK Studiopark and Tokyo Tower. Ending my trip I would like to travel up to Hokkaido for a day, seeing Susukino and then going to a hot bath in Noboribetsu. I hope to catch a train back to Tokyo later and spend the rest of my time in Tokyo before returning to Osaka to go back home. Can someone please tell me if this kind of trip is possible and any suggestions too. Thank you.
by Zelford  

Yep 2008/12/18 20:08
The trip is well within the realms of doable. I would question your plan to go to Hokkaido for a day....it's a very long way to go for a day. On my last visit I was there for 29 days and did the four main islands and still had five nights in Hokkaido. I must add that I had been to Hokkaido before for much longer. A 30 day trip should allow you to spend at least a few days exploring the north.
by RodW rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/18 21:23
Unless there is a specific reason you want to stay in Osaka it may make more sense to travel from bottom of Japan to the top. Depending where you are flying from you may be able to fly into Fukuoka then work your way up through Hiroshima to Osaka and then to where ever you want to go next. This just seems to make more sense to me than travelling Osaka to Fukuoka then back to Osaka then back down to Hiroshima.

Also you may want to spend longer than just 1 day visiting Hokkaido as it takes 10 hours by train to Sapporo from Tokyo, or 8 hours by Sendai, so unless you are flying there it would probably be good to spend more than a day there.

30 days will definitely be fine though.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Kyushu to Hokkaido in 30 days? 2008/12/19 00:58
Thank you for the response. I thought of moving through Japan that way and even flying into Fukuoka but I just didn't want to have to constantly change rooms and Osaka seems centrally located, only 2 hours from Fukuoka. Tokyo looked the same way. Also it is cheaper for me to get a roundtrip to Osaka and les I have to worry about going to different airports. I wondered about getting to Hokkaido but I don't think I can go there because It might take more time than I have to get back to Osaka in time for my flight back home. I was also wondering if there was anywhere I could find a market or shop that sold bonsai trees and pots.
by Zelford rate this post as useful

reply to this thread