Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JP Post Bank Account Transfer Address ? 2008/12/18 21:57
I would like to send some money to a friend in Japan, to her JP Postal Account.

She only has the account number which she says is all she needs to transfer money within Japan...

But I am sure I need more information to make an international transfer...

Any advice ? I have tried the Japan post website but they dont have information on making international transfers TO Japan...

Thanks for your help...
by Skip  

... 2008/12/19 12:07
As far as I know, currently (even within Japan) you cannot send/receive money between a postal office (postal bank) account and a "regular" bank account. Transfers between two postal bank accounts of course have been possible, and that must be what she is used to.

As of January 2009, postal bank says it will be able to handle remittances/account transfers with affiliated banks (in Japan at least), meaning it will have the regular "bank code, branch code, account type, accountn number" numbering system assigned to every account it has.

So, at the least, your friend in Japan will need to go to the post office in Japan, check with them the new coding that will be assigned to her account.
by AK rate this post as useful

For sending money.... 2008/12/19 12:12
Um, just to add... still they do not say anything about whether international remittances are possible, and no mention of remittance charges (yes, there will be charges on the receiving end for remittances).

I instead recommend sending her "international postal money order" if your country's postal services issue this. This is something you buy at a post office in your country and send to her, and your friend in Japan can cash it at a post office in Japan at no or minimal charges. Very convenient. Just be sure to get IPMO, "international postal money order." (This is different from "money order," common in the US and can be cashed at banks or supermarkets, but NOT in Japan, or "postal money order," which is domestic only in your country.)
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you ! 2008/12/19 12:35
Dear AK,
I appreciate your advice.
I think the IPMO might be the best option and probably the fastest now that the holidays are here.
Thanks and have a great holiday.
Br,S
by Skip rate this post as useful

reply to this thread