Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

where to go when a child is sick 2008/12/19 08:39
I will be traveling with 3 children for christmas in Tokyo, can anyone advice me, where should I go, if I need to see paeditrician (medical doctor for children). In another word, what should I do and where should I go, if my children get sick and need to see a doctor. Thank you
by ani  

Where to go 2008/12/19 13:53
I once got the flu while in Japan. I went to the nearest hospital to get treated. I didn't have any medical insurance so I though the bill was going to be astronomical. To my amazement, it only came out to about $90 US, and that's with medication. Any hospital should be fine.
by kelii rate this post as useful

where do you stay at? 2008/12/19 20:05
There are many hospitals accepting patients after office hours,
but as you are worrying, only few would keep paeditrician for a doctor on call.

If you can clarify what area you would be staying at,
I or other who can read Japanese would be able to find some options from here.
http://www.10man-doc.co.jp/static/tokyo/dmn9.html

Or maybe the hotel desk or somebody would be kind enough to call some hospitals instead for you.
by dice-geist rate this post as useful

accomodation or home doctor 2008/12/19 21:37
The first person to consult to should be your accomodation. If you're staying at a hotel, the hotel concierge or reception. If you're home-staying, ask the host family. This is because they would be the best when it comes to handling local matters, and they will be the most helpful people when it comes to looking up phone books.

But if you already know that your children are likely to get sick, you should talk to your home doctor in advance, before leaving for the trip.
by Uco rate this post as useful

not on vacation 2008/12/19 21:41
By the way, if you happen to think that doctors are closed for Christmas, no, they are not. And in most cities, there are clinics just for holidays and night times (kyu-jitsu-kyu-kan-shinryojo) that can handle something as light as flu but not serious things like operation.

reply for my question 2008/12/20 07:06
I will be staying in the apartment in shinjuku area. It is information that I need, because the last we went on vacation, my youngest, which is 14 months of age now, got sick because of flu, and I am just worried that something like that might happen again. So any hospital through emergency admittance would be all right? Thanks very much for all the replies.
by ani rate this post as useful

Ask your hotel. There are many options 2008/12/20 08:26
"So any hospital through emergency admittance would be all right?"

No, emergency admittance is for emergency only. Just ask your hotel so that you can go to any hostpital or clinic in the neighborhood from the front door. If it's just influenza, a lot of doctors can handle that.

If it happens to be a holiday, or something that can't wait until morning, there is an emergency only clinic that cannot do operations.
http://www.city.shinjuku.tokyo.jp/division/341200kumin-hc/01...

As mentioned, be sure to have yourselves insured. I don't know how it works in your country, but usually travellers should be insured by travel insurance.

reply for my question 2008/12/20 09:15
Just want to make sure I understand clearly, so what I need to do is to go to the clinic, and clinic is usually open 24 hour and on holiday, am I right? Yes, I do have travel insurance, thank you for your kind and helpful reply.
by ani rate this post as useful

clarification 2008/12/20 16:40
"so what I need to do is to go to the clinic"

Yes.

"and clinic is usually open 24 hour and on holiday, am I right?

No, you are wrong.

Clinics usually have days off, and are closed during the night. But there is one clinic in Shinjuku that is open ONLY on holidays and night time.

Anyway ASK AT YOUR HOTEL.

Clinics in Tokyo 2008/12/20 17:48
Here is a list of clinics in Tokyo with English speaking staff.
http://www.consular.australia.or.jp/medicaltokyo.html
by Re rate this post as useful

reply to this thread