Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

clothes for high school in tokyo? 2008/12/19 11:13
i am going to be an exchange student in tokyo for a year. im a female sophmore in high school and curious about what i should bring to wear. i dont have enough clothes and most of them are VERY casual. i know this question might be hard to answer with such a variety of clothes worn but please give me a little direction about what many students wear though i know styles differ a lot as they do here. i have sort of what most people call an indie, tomboy, and slightly punk style. most of my clothes are jeans and various band tee shirts and i dont want to seem too casual with my first impressions. i wouldn't normally say this ^^ but i want to fit in in school there so i can get used to things easily. i will be in a co-ed highschool in tokyo and i dont believe uniforms are worn. even if they are, i obviously wont always be wearing them. im exited about studying japanese further and being immersed in the people but i need HELP with clothing!. any ideas of what kind of clothes to buy? :) thanks so much for your help
by sound-of-silence  

Uniform 2008/12/19 12:43
Sound-of-silence,

The vast majority of Japanese high schools have compulsory school uniforms. You will need to contact the school directly to find out what you will be expected to wear as an exchange student, but if you are there for a year, then there is a high probability that you will also be expected to wear the uniform. It may surprise you to learn that most high school girls actually like wearing uniform, even if they spend all their time working out ways to "improve" them.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

wait and see 2008/12/19 16:20
Why not buy clothes when you get to Japan and see what people wear here? This will work unless you are tall (over about 5'7") or heavier built than the average Japanese teenager.
by Sira rate this post as useful

blouse and skirt is safe 2008/12/19 18:44
Sound-of-silence,

You should indeed ask the school or organizer or host family, but there are many high schools that don't have uniforms, and even if they do, purchasing that expensive uniform just for your year sounds quite silly to me.

Why not start with a blouse, skirt, and unless it's summer, a tailored jacket. These type of clothes designed for teenagers aren't that expensive, and can be purchased at large supermarkets here in Japan. But two or three blouses and that's all you need for a while. Then, if you look around and feel that jeans are okay, then go ahead.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/19 19:03
I also advise waiting to hear from the school or organization in charge of the exchange. When I taught in high school in Japan we annually had exchange students who stayed for only one year. Since the uniforms were so expensive the PTA would lend the students their uniform. And as Uco mentioned, other schools don't have uniforms, and some schools are lenient with uniforms for exchange students.

Wait and see what the school/organizer advises as its no use spending money now on something you may not be allowed to use.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread