Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Strange emoticon 2008/12/22 01:24
My penpal sent me an email and apologized for his English, (which wasn't that bad) followed by an emoticon that looks like this: m(_ _)m What is that supposed to be?
by A Noelle  

apology 2008/12/22 03:16
It is an apology and is meant to look like the head leaning forward in a bow with the eyes closed.

Usually interpreted as 'sumimasen'
by Kazuyuki78 rate this post as useful

interpretation 2008/12/22 12:42
two "m"s on both sides are man's hands,
two brackets "("")" are man's head outline,
and two underscores "_" are man's eye closed.

A classical Japanese style of apologizing, or "Dogeza",
in which one kneel down to the ground, put both hands on the ground, and bow deeply to put one's forehead to the ground,
is depicted.
by dice-gest rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/22 16:07
I do not necessarily think it is "dogeza," bowing for apology on the ground, but just "bowing with apology," maybe placing the hands on the table :) At least when I use this emoticon, I do not give it the serious meaning of "dogeza" anyway; it's an apology in general. Just showing that you are bending your head down.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Definitely a man? 2008/12/22 17:06
dice-geist, is this emoji only seen as being a man? It's definitely not possible for it to be female?
by Sira rate this post as useful

Yes, I think AK is right 2008/12/22 21:26
As AK has precisely noted,
it doesn't necessarily mean a grave apology as traditional ''dogeza'' style,
but the emoticon is used very casualy.

Just that it reminded me ''dogeza'' when I tried to explain
why hands are depicted with a bowing person.

Actually, kneeling down and putting one's hand on floor itself doesn't mean a serious apology.
In our culture we used to sit directly on tatami-mat or wooden floor,
and when we bow down low, we naturally put hands on floor to support upper body and
make the posture beautiful.

Mentioning ''dogeza'' for illustrative purpose was quite rude of me for your friend.

And this emoji(or Japanese emoticon) is not necesarrily seen as male.
It is utterly genderless and woman can use it with no problem.
I just used the word ''man'' to mean human being in general.
by dice-geist rate this post as useful

reply to this thread