Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to write my name in Japanese 2008/12/22 23:41
キリンの小さな教会から.
Is the above how to write "Giraffe from small church"? I'm new to this forum (just joined a day or two ago) so if I've made a mistake please let me know.
by Sioraf as Killeens  

?? 2008/12/23 14:56
No, キリンの小さな教会から says "From giraffe's small church."

If you want to say "Giraffe from/of small church," that would be "小さな教会のキリン"

...Is that what your name means??
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/1/14 08:03
Killeens being a place virtually in the middle of nowhere would be impossible to translate so I thought it best to use the placename's meaning instead.
Thank you for your help and my apologies I haven't got back to you for so long, a variety of things popped up.
by Sioraf rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/14 09:34
Thank you for getting back :)

I still don't quite understand what you are trying to do - your name is "Sioraf as Killeens" in your language, so it doesn't make sense to take the Japanese meaning of your name. You don't really want to "translate" names, would you? :)

When we see non-Japanese names, we use the pronunciation and simply write it down phonetically using phonetic writing system called "katakana." This is used for writing non-Japanese words/names or imported concepts.

So the name "Killeens" would be simply written キリーンズ (ki-ri-ii-n-zu), sorry if I got the pronunciation, instead of taking the meaning and turning it into a "giraffe." If you could tell me how your first name is pronounced, (I can't tell if it's supposed to be pronounced "s" or "z," for example), then I can write that out in katakana as well, if that's what you are looking for.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread