Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Lodging options in Hachiouji 2008/12/24 01:08
Greetings everyone.

I shall be starting University next April and am currently in search for a suitable place to stay.

My University is located near Takao Station (Chuuou Line) and, while I have been looking for a good apartment to rent, I am beginning to consider staying at an apartment hotel (should there be any nearby and for a decent price).

While doing some research on this I came across http://jpgsonline.com/hotels/hotelstokyo.html which lists a couple of hotels in the area at a base rate of 6,000 yen per day. Now, I suppose it would be possible to arrange a deal with the hotel and obtain a discount since I am, after all, going to stay for at least a year.
Regular apartments require reikin and deposits, gas and internet bills, etc, so I am not really into it.

The problem here, though, is that I think the hotels listed there are business or capsule hotels. I use to see one of those almost everyday on my way from Akihabara to JR Okachimachi station and it was closed until 5 pm. The lights were off so I wonder what staying in one of those hotels would entail.

Of course, if you know of a better way then by all means let me know. It woul be greatly appreciated.
by Ishikwa Minoru  

I wouldn't recommend a hotel 2008/12/24 22:03
Hotels are pretty much some of the highest you can pay, its still cheaper to go with the entire normal apartment procedure then pay even 4000yen a day, nevertheless 6000yen a day!! That comes out to roughly 180000 JPY! a month!! If you're willing to pay that much a month for a hotel for a year you should certainly be able to afford a standard apartment.

I suggest either going with a youth hostel or dormitory of sorts first, then find a regular apartment once your settled.

Takao is pretty much the end station for most JR Chuo Line rapid trains, it is also on the Keio Line, it is normal for people to travel upwards to 1-2 hours to school/work. I know people who work in Takao but live way out in Chiba, and another person down in Kamakura. If you stick to pretty much any station on the Keio main Line or the JR Chuo Line you shouldn't have really any problems finding accommodation that fits your price range, from youth hostels to regular apartments.
by John rate this post as useful

guesthouse 2008/12/25 01:18
Thank you for the kind reply.

Precisely because I found it hard to stay in a hotel, I decided to stay at a GuestHouse(Sakura House) for a couple of months until I got a proper visa, one which would allow me to rent an apartment. Turns out Sakura House is absolutely filthy! The kitchen is literally filled with cockroaches. It is digusting.
Because I was not willing to degrade myself to the point of staying there, I move in with a friend, to Ichikawa City in Chiba Prefecture.
Nevertheless, I want to live near the University, which is very close to Takao Station, I figured I should start looking for something. A standard apartment would probably do, but even for 100.000 JPY a month, I am yet to find a good one. The kitchens, in particular, leave much to be desired.

But if there is anything I can say is that dormitories, guest houses or similar arrangements are terrible. If you value yourself, please stay away from such places.
by Ishikawa Minoru rate this post as useful

reply to this thread