Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Imperial Palace - January 2nd (dif. ?) 2008/12/25 18:17
I'm leaving on Saturday for Tokyo, and it suddenly occurred to me that despite the fact that the Japanese Imperial Palace is open to the public on January 2nd, it still might not be open to visiting foreigners.

Does anyone know the circumstances of that situation? Will foreigners no be allowed in even though the palace is open to the public?
by Ross  

... 2008/12/26 03:02
The Imperial Palace will be open to everybody of any skin color, age and nationality.
by Uji rate this post as useful

ippan sanga 2008/12/26 08:23
Uji is right. "The public" means everybody, not just Japanese people.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Imperial Palace 2008/12/26 11:42
you don't actually visit the inside of the palace, unlike in England where you can visit some of the rooms used for official functions at both Buckingham Palace and Windsor. At most you see the outside of Tokyo palace (a modern building from 1968) from a relatively short distance. On January 1 you will have a chance of seeing the Imperial family standing in a room at second floor level behind bullet proof glass.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

The Palace 2008/12/26 11:48
And you even get to walk over Nijubashi (二重橋 - the eye bridge). Although you don't get to see much of the palace at all, still worth the experience I thought.
by Smoke rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/12/26 17:47
Thanks for the clarification! I appreciate it.
by Ross rate this post as useful

reply to this thread