Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa/Plus card for currency exchange? 2008/12/26 13:21
I have a Chase Visa Check card with a daily ATM withdrawal limit of 400$. I want to exchange $2500 to yen, and having that cash on-hand will be impossible with the limit and the holidays (no branch will be open before I fly out, so I have to rely on ATM. I can easily withdraw that much in person.)

So my question is, can I use my Visa / Plus / Interlink card to exchange $2500 at the currency exchange in Narita?

Thanks
by Kevin Anderson  

. 2008/12/27 04:51
I realize this doesn't answer your question directly, but I've never had problems calling any U.S. bank and asking them to temporarily increase the withdrawal limit. Should only take a few minutes on the phone with your bank.
by Nicholas rate this post as useful

Against it 2008/12/27 09:52
I would be against your idea simply because you are going to get NAILED with the ridiculous foreign transaction charges from Chase. I would just get as much cash as possible before leaving.

As for using your Check Card, since it has the PLUS symbol on it, you can use it at most 7-Eleven ATMs and post office ATMs. No need to do it all at once at Narita. As I stated earlier though, anytime you use your ATM in Japan, you will get nailed with the transaction charge.
by Bean rate this post as useful

... 2008/12/27 10:25
You don't have US dollar cash, correct? You only have the card?

At Narita, at "currency exchange," no, you need cash (or traveler's check). And if the daily limit is 400 dollars, you cannot withdraw 2,500 dollars in a day, I suppose??

Instead, if the card has Plus sign on it, you can go to Japan Post (post office) ATM or 7-11 convenience store ATM to withdraw cash in yen (up to equivalent of your US limit per day), PROVIDED your card is 4-digit PIN-based and enabled for overseas use by your bank.

In any case, it would be advisable to call your bank before you fly out to (1) let them know that you'll be using it overseas (some banks block an attempt for use overseas, thinking it's fraud) and get information about the overseas transaction charge, (2) make sure you have the 4-digit PIN, and (3) possibly to increase theh daily limite if you want to.

Note that if you have a credit card, you can use it to make payments at major hotels and restaurants in big cities.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread