Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Tokyo for the 1st time 7 days 2008/12/31 14:52
Hello,

My brother, cousin, and I are visiting Tokyo for the 1st time. We plan to stay for 7 days. From 1-15-09 through 1-22-09. We cant speak Japanese, we dont have any friends there, and we are completely clueless. We are looking to budget but not super budget. Looking to spend 100-200 a day (hoping more on the 100 a day). All male, between the ages of 21-26. We just want a memorable trip.

In what part of Tokyo should i book my hotel? I would like it to be in the center of everything where traveling is made easy.

I love the night life and i would like to know if there are any great hip-hop clubs/pubs in the Tokyo location. If possible, provide the name/location of the club/pub. What time do clubs usually start and what time do clubs usually end?

My cousin is real fashion guru and we would love to shop at some real cool places that are bape/bbc related. We would also like to shop at some places that are boutique like. Places where the brand name isn't really commercialized and prices aren't very high end.

My brother loves to play video games and loves electronics. I know places like hong kong and taiwan have special streets where the entire streets sell electronics and video games. I was wondering if there are places like this in Tokyo.

I, my self, LOVE to eat. Are there any honorable mentions where i can get some amazing food without paying an arm and a leg.

Are there any night markets in Tokyo? If so, which ones are worth checking out?

I know these are a lot of questions to answer. Sorry for the headache and an advance thanks for the help! If there are additional suggestions, please do provide them. We are pretty open minded. Only things we're not interested in are sight seeing and visiting rural places. Thank you!
by iamchicity  

anyone? 2009/1/1 08:00
are there any takers on my inquiry?
by iamchicity rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2009/1/1 16:01
I guess your mention of "clueless" rubbed some people the wrong way, especially considering that it is so easy to Goggle anything and get answers (for example the location of the Bape stores). If you check this very site, the section at the very top called A-Z has tons of info about Japan. Where to book a hotel? Tokyo doesn't have one single downtown but 23 neighbourhoods (each a self contained town) with about 6 of them being the major ones. Most of them are located along an elevated rail line called the JR Yamanote line (google it and check the map). There are also lots of subways crisscrossing the whole of Tokyo and most subway lines intersect the Yamanote loop line at least once. In other words anywhere near the loop line is a good place to look for a hotel. Many tourists prefer the districts of Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, Ikebukuro. Regardless of where you stay you WILL have to take the loop line or a subway line or both to go somewhere else. I have no idea about night clubs..I do know that they are open all night long. In Tokyo there are local magazines in English with the latest info on the nigh scene; ask your hotel. Don't expect Japanese .to be very fluent in English by the way. For fashion the answer is easy: Harajuku! especially the area around the intersection of Omotesando and Meiji-dori. Don't forget Takeshita dori nearby. As you continue along Omotesando, walking away from the big park by the JR Harajuku station, you will run into the fancy stores of world famous designers. Shibuya is another trendy area for young people. For electronics Akihabara is the WORLD MOST FAMOUS area! For food the area near each major JR station has thousands of restaurants in all price ranges. At ground level, underground and in what look like office buildings but are in fact buildings with several restaurant and bars on each floor. Department stores all have at least one full floor at the very top with many restaurants. There are no all night markets that I know of but Ameyokocho in Ueno has several pedestrian lanes opening late under the railway tracks. The booths sell all sorts of goods and there are lots of restaurants nearby of course. By the way , as you walk all around Tokyo you will automatically see sights therefore do some sightseeing! I guess you meant to say that you aren't interested in temples, shrines, museums ( pity.. these are always fashionable, unlike clothes ..)
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

ty 2009/1/2 06:52
thanks so much for the response.
by iamchicity rate this post as useful

reply to this thread