Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo and Kyoto on Shinkansen 2009/1/1 22:57
Hi,

I was wondering what the cost between Tokyo and Kyoto would be by taking the bullet train for one adult.My family and I will be spending our time mostley in Tokyo, and rather than book for a 7 day rail pass, we were wondering how much it would cost for a single trip to Tokyo and Kyoto on the bullet train.

There are five of us but we don't mind how long it would take to get there, but we are aiming for the cheapest way (other than walking of course). I've had a look at the prices but I'm unsure if I've worked out the price correctly. The guide on this site mentions that it costs around 20 yen per kilometer for short journeys, but 10 for a long distance. I assume that Tokyo to Kyoto is a long distance but I'm not sure. The base price I found is around 5000 yen (513.6 km x 10). Naturally we will have to come back to Tokyo to leave so we will have to double the price.

5000 is a little pricey but Im not sure what else we will require. Do we need anything other than the base travel or are we required to pay more with express and so on? Three of us are students and should that make a difference? We will also have luggage - would that be a problem for us? Lastly, is the Shinkansen the best option for us? We want to get to Kyoto as soon as possible to see as much traditional and cultural aspects as we can!

Thanks in advance for anyone would could answer one or more questions (sorry about having so many!)

Thanks,
Sam
by MSam  

... 2009/1/2 09:35
by Uji rate this post as useful

Seishun 18 Kippu 2009/1/2 21:46
Well I suppose that means the whole distance multiply theory is irrelevant huh. Would I be correct in assuming that the 'Seishun 18 Kippu' would be the cheapest way of travelling and that my parents can use it too? (I am aware we could not use the Shinkansen then)
by MSam rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/2 22:17
If you are students with not a lot of money, and don't mind sleeping on a night-bus, then the night bus would be the way to go - it saves you one night of accommodation as well. So does "Seishin 20 kippu," but then planning the train changes and possibly having to stand on the trains would be painful. You can simply book the night bus.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/2 22:34
Well I suppose that means the whole distance multiply theory is irrelevant huh.

Tokyo to Kyoto BASE FARE comes out to around 15yen per KM.

But you forget to factor in to take the Shinkansen requires paying additional charges on top, such as an "Limited Express/Express Fee" to use the premium train service.

Using the 18 kippu would save you money, but at the cost of making nearly half a dozen train transfers over the period of 9~10 hours (assuming you went during the daytime).

Taking an overnight bus would be the "best" cheapest way to go at it in my opinion.

Unless your lucky to get on the Moonlight Nagara, which is most likely already sold out.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/2 22:40
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread