Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura Snow Festival 2009/1/2 18:37
Hi, I am very interested to see the snow huts at the Kamukura Snow Festival but understand that it is only for 2 days on 15-16Feb and I may not be there at the right time. Does it mean that all the snow huts will be tear down after 16Feb? Or they are still there to view in the evening. Prior to 15Feb, are the snow huts ready for viewing? Or is there any other places to see these snow huts other than on 15-16Feb. Thank you for any advice :)
by Snowy  

... 2009/1/3 12:30
I do not know if they tear them down, but the "kamakura" snow huts are fun only when they light them up and are occupied by people who serve you hot sake and stuff like that... the one in Yokote, Akita, must be the one you are referring to; they have a photo session evening on the 14th, but other than that, they only light them up on 15th and 16th.
http://www.yokotekamakura.com/
by AK rate this post as useful

Yokote 2009/1/3 14:02
In Yokote, a snow hut is put on display and kept 10C below freezing in town's Fureai-Centre Kamakura Hall. It's opened 9.00-16.30 year round.
by William rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/1/3 19:37
Hi AK & William, thank you for the information.
cheers!
by Snowy rate this post as useful

Kamakura Snow Hut Festival 2009/1/7 23:23
It seens that this year the festival is on from Feb. 14 to Feb. 17.

http://www.akita-life.jp/kamakura/b20-kaijo.html

Kamakura Snow Festival 2009/1/8 01:19
Just read your forum about Kamakura Snow Festival, how far Fr Tokyo to Kamakura to see the snow festival as I will be in Tokyo on 16 to 18? I will be in Kyoto fr 10-13, is it nearer fr Kyoto to Kamakura? Is the snow festival location very near to the big Buddha in Kamakura?
by Tan M N rate this post as useful

Kamakura 2009/1/8 02:28
The Kamakura Snow Hut Festival is held in the town of Yokote, not in Kamakura city. Yokote is about 4 hrs. by train north of Tokyo.

Kamakura Snow Festival 2009/1/8 11:18
Hi William
Thank you for the update.
In case I really cannot make it on the dates; I've to go and see the one that you mentioned in Yokote town's Fureai-Centre Kamakura Hall. Do you know if it is light up? Or just purely a display of the snow hut. Is it worth to see then? Thanks.

Kamakura Snow Hut Festival 2009/1/8 13:37
Inside the Kamakura Hall, it's said that a couple of snow huts are built and kept 10C below freezing in a glass-sided room. They say you can actually go inside the huts. I haven't been there but I'm going for the festival on Feb. 15. IMO, you have to experience the festive feel rather than just seeing a displayed snow hut. I'm waiting to be invited into one of the snow huts by Japanese children and share their rice cakes. Also all around town, there are thousands of mini kamakura snow caves with lit candles. Should be quite a sight, so do make an effort to go. I'm sure it would be a memorable experience.

Kamakura Snow Festival 2009/1/9 13:34
Hi William
Thanks for all the info.
u have a nice trip!
cheers!

Yokote 2009/1/9 17:04
Thank you Snowy.

Hope to see you in Yokote!

reply to this thread