Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Requirements For A Manga Artist? 2009/1/5 07:44
Ok, I have really been into manga for many years now (I'm only 16), and I think my first favorite manga was One Piece, or Dragonball... anyways because of those two series I adapted my own infamous little manga that I've been drawing since like the 2nd grade. What i'm trying to ask is can i send a manga application to Japan and maybe get it read by an editor for maybe Weekly Jump? I live in America so is that a problem? Could I Fax them or something? Basically what are requirements for being a manga artist and having a manga seires being published in Weekly Jump?
by George M  

Reality check 2009/1/5 09:14
George,

Is it in Japanese? If not, you would be wasting your time approaching Japanese publishers.
Just like when sending book scripts to a publisher or film scripts to a Hollywood producer, the only requirement is that it will sell. Publish your manga on a website first so you can show people that it is getting several thousand hits a day, or print out several thousand copies yourself and see how many sell at the next Komike in Tokyo.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Reaching your goal 2009/1/8 19:57
I agree with Dave. The problem with trying to publish a work in Japan is that language and cultural barriers may prevent japanese readers from fully understanding the message of your manga. Why not try to create a high quality manga for a western audience? I know it sounds lame and not an attractive path to fame, but it would be a useful stepping stone to the big time.
by deeb185 rate this post as useful

So basically.... 2009/1/9 09:21
Hi, I'm a manga artist that is looking for someone to publish my manga. So you guys are saying that if my manga is in japanese and is very popular amongst a large group of people or getting 1000s of hits online, I have a good chance of being commisioned or hired by a japanese company or organization?

I mean, I'm sure the person who made this topic has the same question, but is there a general age requirement? Or college degree?
by Ren rate this post as useful

College degree? 2009/1/9 10:16
Why would a college degree be required for a manga artist to be published? Surely the main requirement would be that publishers thought the manga was likely to appeal to readers. A college degree is completely irrelevant.
by SHU rate this post as useful

There are no set rules!!!!!! 2009/1/9 10:19
I don't know how to make this any clearer but here I go: if you have talent, people enjoy reading your material, and your creation has potential to sell to the masses, you can become a published by a big company. Manga-kas come from all walks of life, whether they were former salary-man, art students, or a youngster who has a bit of genius in him/her.

There aren't any "college requirements" or "age requirements" to become a published manga-ka. You're not talking about sending in an application, going through an interview process, and getting picked. As Dave mentioned, show that you've got the talent to succeed in the business and you will have a chance.

In other words, if your work is mediocre, you've got no chance. You need to somehow work to show that you've got that extra ability that separates you from the mass people who just draw as a hobby.
by Kevin rate this post as useful

Do you have to draw the boxes? 2009/4/3 08:45
I know this is a stupid question but I can draw everything that a manga needs but I don't get if you have todrae the boxes around them or what and what about the speach bubbles do you do them aswell?
by Spike (guest) rate this post as useful

Spike 2009/4/3 10:11
Yes.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

a 2009/4/20 12:45
From what I have seen, most manga is lettered and written by one person, the artist of the manga.

by comic artist (guest) rate this post as useful

Actually... 2009/4/21 07:32
Though people will tell you your comic must be in Japanese to be printed here -- it isn't true.

There are many popular Korean comics by artists who can't speak a lick of Japanese... and these days some of them are published first in Japan. The key is to become popular in your own country FIRST. You need to show that your artwork and stories can find an audience back home before you pursue a career in Japan... and even then -- chances are, you will be working in your own country and then sending your work overseas for translation and publication (though you will likely be invited to attend events, compete for awards, etc).

I can think of only one French girl who has become a popular comic artist in Japan -- but she is now a naturalized citizen and can speak Japanese fluently.
by mia (guest) rate this post as useful

hinoai 2009/4/22 22:48
You may want to read the most recent posts on this page:

http://hinoai.livejournal.com

This is about an American mangaka who is working on the new Prince of Tennis series as an assistant.

She has also been a model in Japan.
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

Tokyo Pop 2009/5/16 01:06
I've been drawing manga for a while now and had the same question. If you live in the United States and want to see if your manga can be published, there is a TokyoPop company in California, as well as Japan - if you want to try contacting them.
by Charlotte (guest) rate this post as useful

Manga Artist? 2010/3/26 03:56
Hey i now how you feel i also want to be a Manga Artist and wants to now. Do i have to print it in japanese?
Also i am going to Tama Art university to learn graphic deisgn there i will learn the art. And i'll ask do i have to write my Manga in japanese? They will problaby not know. So can anyone tell me? I am learining kanji and soon kana,katakana, and Hirogana just what do i use to print in which words?
by GUEST (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread