Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Photographing geisha 2009/1/5 08:26
I am wondering if it is considered rude for tourists to take pictures of geisha....
by Trish  

. 2009/1/5 08:56
Assuming it is a real Geisha and not a "fake" one. Most Geisha you see in public are usually on their way to an appointment.

There's usually nothing rude about taking photos of them in public, just as long as you are not interrupting them, or their schedule.
by John rate this post as useful

Photographing geisha 2009/1/5 09:02
Trish,

I personally think it is rude to take photos of anyone without asking, but so long as you remember that geishas and maiko are usually working and do not expect them to pose for you, I suppose it is OK.

The recent story published in the UK might put the situation in perspective though...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/4018220...
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thank you 2009/1/5 10:25
Thank you for the replies to my question... I have alot of respect for the people of Japan and would not want to insult or be rude... I am looking forward to all the experiences japan has and if not getting a picture of a geisha means not being rude i can live with that.... thanks again...
by Trish rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/5 23:15
I had a friend who was very big and tall. They would stop him to take photos with them. They were really sweet ladies and more friendly than I expected. Ask them and I'm sure they will stop for a second.
by Beto rate this post as useful

photos 2009/1/6 06:23
Surely it is possible to take a photo without stopping a person and interrupting what they are doing? The best thing is to smile at them and tentatively lift the camera. It has worked for me many times (I haven't had the chance of seeing a Geisha, .only regular people) but I was not expecting them to stop and pose and much less to pose with me or a friend! THAT is rude. Interesting photos are photos of people doing whatever they do as if the camera wasn't there but letting know that we are taking a photo therefore giving them the choice of refusing. My friends and I take photo of one another on the sly, without the other one being aware of it, and very seldom pose in front of a famous building or landscape at it hides the great sight in the first place! We prefer to have the building or ...as the focal point of the photo and we will be in a corner, lost amongst other tourists.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

No 2009/1/7 03:54
When I was in JP I saw a real geisha going to an appointment in Kyoto. The Japanese people were all going crazy taking photos .. I couldn't even get in a shot ~

Sooo I assume it's not rude, but they do hide their faces.
by Kate rate this post as useful

reply to this thread