Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translating message 2009/1/6 07:42
My friend wanted me to translate a letter she got from a Japanese girl who stayed with her over the summer, but some words used in the message are confusing me:

日本 に 遊びに 二れると いいね!というか。 絶対 来て !! 妹の ゆりか ま、ヶィラ が 遊びに くるの、楽しい に してるよ 末ムま ィ士事が 決 まれば。 たくさん あそびべるから テテきたいところ 考え といてね!ヶィラ の   為に 日本語で 少し 書いて いました それでは。。。

ヶィラ is Kayla, my friend's name. But I don't understand 二れる, 末ムま ィ(士事), テテきたい, the ま after the name Yurika. And should あそびべる be あそべる?

My rough translation was:

"I/you (?) say - it's to/like playing (vacationing, etc) in Japan, no?! You absolutely (must) come!! My little sister Yurika (asks), can Kayla come and play? We'll have fun! ...If work would disappear. Since we're able to play a lot, I'm thinking... I want you to come here(?). And so, I've written a bit in Japanese for Kayla..."

I'm hoping someone fluent, or a Japanese native, can give me some help!

ありがとう
by Po  

... 2009/1/6 10:19
I think the text contains some typos - let me give you a "cleaned up" version, though of course it contains some guesswork on my part. I assume your friend gave you this in handwriting, and maybe you typed it up?

日本に 遊びに これると いいね!というか、絶対 来て !! 
I hope you can come to Japan to enjoy yourself/to visit. In other words, definitely do come!

妹の ゆりか は、ケィラ が 遊びに くるの、楽しみに してるよ 
My younger sistser Yurika is looking forward to Kayla coming to visit.

まずは 仕事が 決まれば。 たくさん あそべるから 
Firstly once my job is decided, I will be able to have a lot of fun/spend time with you

行きたいところ 考えといてね(=考えておいてね)!
...so think of places you want to go!

ケィラ の 為(=ため)に 日本語で 少し 書いて みました 
For Kayla I've written a bit in Japanese.
それでは。。。
See you...

"asobu" means to have one, to enjoy yourself, to visit someone for leisure, in addition to strictly "play."
ヶィラ should be ケィラ
by AK rate this post as useful

For the second sentence 2009/1/6 10:21
Maybe it was a も after Yurika, not ま.

妹の ゆりか も、ケィラ が 遊びに くるの、楽しみに してるよ 
My younger sistser Yurika, too, is looking forward to Kayla coming to visit.

.. 2009/1/6 10:35
AKさん
「末ムま ィ士事が」は
「私も仕事が」あるいは「私は仕事が」と読めませんか。

日本語のnativeでない人にこんな「タメクチ」の手紙を書く人はどうかと思います。
by 清書納言 rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/6 10:53
(In English) Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, maybe 末ムま ィ士事が 決 まれば is supposed to be 私も 仕事が 決まれば. = "I, too, once my job is decided, (will have time to spend...)"

To 清書納言,
(In Japanese) 提案ありがとうございました。確かにおっしゃる通りかも知れません。

Additional comments to 清書納言:

若い人の文章だとは思いましたが、「・・・どうかと・・・」というほどには思いません、私は。
おそらく手紙の受け手が、日本語を勉強しているのでしょう。だから、手紙の書き手は、わざと、一部なるべく簡単に(したつもりで)、日本語で書いたのだと思います。日本語教育にたずさわるという経験をしていないと、「何が日本語を勉強する人にとって分かりやすい文なのか」ということ自体、判断しにくいです。
それに、日本語を勉強している人にとっても、教科書に出ているようなかたい文章「だけ」に接するのではなく、実際に書かれた生の文章に接すること「も」大切だと思っています。それ「だけ」では、問題ですけれどね。
まずは楽しい文通のやりとり、こうやって人の手を借りてでも、話が楽しくできたらいいのでは?(^^)
by AK (used to be a language teacher) rate this post as useful

.. 2009/1/7 09:52
手伝ってありがとうございます!

私が手紙は書いても書き直してもありませんでした。メールで送ってくれました。日本語があまりうまくありませんが、少なくとも漢字とカナを書き直せます。:)

自由に話せないから、間違いを発見するのが苦手であります・・・

「遊ぶ」の意味を分かります。しかし、AKのいない手紙は正確に翻訳出来ませんでした。

ありがとうございました!
by Po rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/8 10:09
Po,
Thank you for coming back to say thanks :) I was glad to be of help. Sometimes the Japanese writing (and colloquial speech) can be confusing, can't they :)

reply to this thread