Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to buy train ticket? 2009/1/7 08:17
Hi

I am planning to travel from Hiroshima to Kamishiro by train using a JR pass. The trip requires 4 transfers at Himeji, Nagoya, Matsumoto and Shinanoomachi.

My question is could I be able to buy all required tickets at Hiroshima station at once, if so, what is the best way to convey my intention to a ticket counter sales person when I do not speak a word of Japanese?

Kindly regards
Willie
by Willie  

... 2009/1/7 08:27
could I be able to buy all required tickets at Hiroshima station at once

Yes!

if so, what is the best way to convey my intention to a ticket counter sales person when I do not speak a word of Japanese?

Tell the person in simple English that you would like to go from Hiroshima to Kamishiro. If you are not confident about the proper pronunciation of the two place names, I recommend to write them down on a piece of paper.

You also want to specify the departure date and time, how many persons are traveling and whether you would like to make seat reservations.

Seat reservations are possible on the section between Hiroshima and Nagoya and between Nagoya and Matsumoto. English words like "reserved" will be understood by ticket counter staff even in case of those who do not speak much English.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2009/1/7 08:36
Why would you want to buy train tickets if you have a JR Rail Pass? If you have the national JR Railpass, you don't have to buy anything. If you mean reservations, they are free for JR Railpass holder. Just show up at Hiroshima JR station, show your pass at the ticket counter that displays the green "seat reservation" sign and ask them for reservations to Shinanoomachi. You might want to write down your final destination, but they will usually understand some English, like "reservation" and "next train".

The quickest journey is 6h 10m and leaves at 08.50 am.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/1/7 08:53
Thank you Uji and RobBeer for your prompt replies. Now I understand ticket counter is about reserving seats and there is no need to obtain the actual ticket to travel.

Yes, 8:50am Journey is the quickest, so I will reserve the seats a few days prior.
by Willie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread