Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kanji for an appreciation card ? 2009/1/8 00:32
Idea was to use the kanji for appreciation and then write each person's name in hiragana. Read somewhere that the Japanese don't use this expression. Now,
I'm not sure how to design the card. Please help. Our boss likes authentic Japanese style. Thank you.
by asha  

right 2009/1/8 11:35
You are correct. The Japanese don't use that expression. It's not authentic Japanese style.

That said, I'm starting to see greeting cards in stationary shops in Japan, that has a caligraphy of a kanji on the cover. I find it modern, international and sophisticated, although not authentic Japanese.

By the way, the Chinese character, in other words kanji, that expresses appreciation is ŽÓ but this font would look aweful on a card. Also, names aren't usually written in hiragana unless you're dealing with children or close friends.
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/8 12:35
What would you suggest instead of Kanji for an appreciation card. We have collected money from a group of 30 people to present a gift. We would like to acknowledge the people who gave and to acknowledge the boss.
Thank you!
by asha rate this post as useful

yosegaki 2009/1/8 16:29
"What would you suggest instead of Kanji for an appreciation card."

How about an ordinary card??

Actually, is this group of 30 people presenting a gift to the boss? If so, in Japan, when a large group of people present something to one person, typically you make a "yose-gaki." A yose-gaki is typically written on shikishi which is a special piece of board paper, and all the senders write a short message on this one board. I would say, just find a large ordinary thank you card or make a card with paper, and write messages on it. It's nice to see the whole group putting messages on one big paper. It shows unity.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread