Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Your opinion on a 3 weeks trip to Japan 2009/1/8 12:40
Hello there,

Here is the thing: I am preparing a 3 weeks trip to japan at the very beginning of April and I would like to get your feebdack on the different stops I have planned.
Do not hesitate to tell me it seems to you I am planning too much for 3 weeks

Tokyo, 10 days with trips to:
- Nikko
- Yokohama
- Kamakura
- Mont Fuji

Kyoto, 5 days, with trips to:
- Nara
- Himeji
- Osaka

Then I have big doubts on the last 6-7 days that remain. I absolutely don't know in which city I should sleep for the following trips:
- Kanazawa
- Shirakawa
- Takayama
- Kamikochi
* Would you recommand me Nagoya?
- Okayama
- Kurashiki
- Miyajima
* Would you recommand me Hiroshima?

Thanks in advance for your kind help
by Enea  

some thoughts 2009/1/8 14:23
Normally late March to early April is best time for cherry blossom in the Kansai area around Kyoto-Nara-Osaka. So ideally arrange to fly in Kansai KIX and do that part first.

If you don't want to change hotels too often, besides Nara and Himeji, Okayama, Kurashiki, Hiroshima and Miyajima can all be done as daytrips from either Kyoto or Osaka.

For the other destinations, I would suggest to leave for Kanazawa from Kyoto on day 1, spend the night in Kanazawa. On day 2, if you want more time in Kanazawa, take a late afternoon bus to spend a night in one of Shirakawa-go's unique farmhouses. On day 3 continue by bus from Shirakawa-go to Takayama and spend a night there. On a tight schedule, leave early for Shirakawa-go from Kanazawa on day 2, take in the village and take bus to spend the night in Takayama.

From Takayama, there are 2 routes you can take. The simple one is go to Nagoya, spend a day and then off to Tokyo by JR. Time allowed, make an en-route stop in Hakone for a day or two. If you want to go to Kamikochi, you can take a bus from Takayama, and again by bus/train from Kamikochi to Matsumoto. From Matsumoto you can take JR back to Tokyo. Again if you have spare time, visit Nagano city from Matsumoto before going to Tokyo.

A word about Kamikochi, the access road to the place is normally closed from November to late April. So if you're going there in April, you've better double check.

I hope the above suggestions haven't confused you further and are of some help.
by William rate this post as useful

3 weeks 2009/1/8 14:28
To start with you spend a few days too many in Tokyo and too few in Kyoto, a city that has far more historical sights than Tokyo (a town that was nearly totally destroyed TWICE during the 20th century). As for Hiroshima it is a must to see (at least the Peace park) especially considering that you are visiting Miyajima! Which other cities to visit is really a matter of choice!.. Read as much as you can about them and make up your mind depending on your own tastes, not on "must see" generic lists. I went to Matsue, for example, just to see the home of Lafcadio Hearn and loved it very much, along with other old homes nearby and the castle.To me it was well worth a train trip out of the way. .Don' t fall in the trap of trying to see too many places in too short a time. Better to see only a few but long enough that you remember, years later, how to go around that town, the little restaurant 3 blocks from the hotel etc. .
by Red frog rate this post as useful

The advice that has been given 2009/1/8 15:42
Both post are 100% correct and write on the money. I cant add anything else but I did a trip simaler to yours and these guys know their stuff... Have a blast!
by Dave03 rate this post as useful

day allocation 2009/1/8 18:01
Due to the above-mentioned reason, I'd allocate 9 or 10days around Kyoto, up to 7days around Tokyo, and the rest for other destination.
by Ts rate this post as useful

Don't miss Nagasaki 2009/1/8 21:18
I'd like to put in a plug for visiting Nagasaki. Why? Its unique and colourful history as the only city open to the west during Japan's long isolation from the outside world. Its Christian heritage and churches. Its suffering in the nuclear holocaust and its commitment to world peace. Its friendly people. Its beautiful, unspoilt islands in the Goto group. I love this place!
by Jon rate this post as useful

Kyushu 2009/1/8 22:15
I believe you should definately go to Kyushu. I personally see it as the 'real Japan'. Most people in Kyushu seem to be more welcoming and polite than those from Honshu. Fukuoka is my favourite city in the world, and it is as bright and colourful as most Japanese citys, but seems less hectic and relaxed. Nagasaki is also a must, with its history and wonderful shops.
by gil0036 rate this post as useful

time in Chugoku 2009/1/9 00:16
How many days to travel there?

I thought to visit Himeji, spend a night in Kobe, or back to Kyoto/Osaka.

Spend a couple of days in Hiroshima/Miyajima.

Okayama? Kurashiki?
by Doron rate this post as useful

Here are some adjustments 2009/1/9 12:13
First of all, many thanks for your good advices.
I decided to drop Okayama and Kurashiki because I kind of felt it wouldn't worth it after all.

So here is the update:
Tokyo: 5 days to see the city
Daytrips from Tokyo to : Nikko, Kamakura, Hakone, Mount Fuji, Yokohama
(5 days)

Kyoto: 3 days
Daytrips from Kyoto (using the train):
Nara, Osaka, Himeji
Kanazawa, Shirakawa, Takayama, (Kamikochi, if opened)
Miyajima, Hiroshima (9 days)

All in all, that would make 3 weeks.
It seems pretty good to me now, what do you think?
Thanks again
by Enea rate this post as useful

good or bad 2009/1/9 12:40
It looks pretty good to me if your main interest is to see the "city life" of Japan.

For your reference,
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_osaka_19.html
by Ts rate this post as useful

reply to this thread