Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any acting agencies in Japan? 2009/1/9 03:49
I'm hoping to eventually move to Japan and seek a career as a gaijin actress, but I can't seem to find anything but modelling agencies. I would like to act, so those aren't much help.

I'd just like to know the names of a few.
by Himitsu E-jinto Misoshiru  

This was asked previously 2009/1/9 09:47
This almost exact question was asked a couple weeks ago.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+58803

One of the reasons you won't find any acting agencies is because MOST (I would like to say 60%+) of young Japanese actresses and actors start off as models in magazines, etc. That and gaijin actresses are not in any demand whatsoever as mentioned in the previous thread. Try becoming an established actress first and then try to become an actress in Japan!!
by Bean rate this post as useful

Question on gaijin 2009/1/22 11:16
I read on wikipedia that gaijin are people not from (east?) asia. So Korean would not be gaijin, if that definition was correct. Would being Korean be considered gaijin in an acting/modeling sense? Thanks much!
by Kira (guest) rate this post as useful

Gaijin= not Japanese 2009/1/22 12:22
Sorry Kira, if Wikipedia says that it is wrong. Gaijin or gaikokujin is anyone from outside Japan.

There are even 3rd generation Koreans who were born in Japan who are still considered gaijin.

From a modelling point of view a Korean may not be viewed too differently from a Japanese person, but unless the Korean speaks perfect, accentless Japanese, they are obviously going to seen as different in the acting field.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/22 15:35
"Gaijin" and "gaikokujin" are not quite the same; this is more of a usage issue, rather than definition.

While "gaikokujin" is a proper term meaning "foreigner," "of a different nationality," "gaijin" as a slang has been used to refer to people who are *apparently* non-Japanese, with different skin color, hair color, eye color, or completely different behaviors, and also to highlight "they are different (from us)." Because this expression relies heavily on what people *look* like, no matter who they are, and also because this has the connotation of "outsiders" as if to ostracize "those who don't belong here," this word has been at times used derogatorily, and thus has been designated politically incorrect by now.

There is this abbreviation "gai-tare," short for "gai(koku)jin talent," meaning non-Japanese (-looking) TV celebrities, but this has been used mostly to refer to Westerners, with obviously different looks and behaviors, that do not conform to what has been normally seen on TV shows.

So... going by this *usage,* Koreans, with physical appearances similar to those of Japanese, are certainly "gaikokujin" but probably would not have been referred to as "gaijin."

And when it comes to modeling.... I'd say probably Koreans would be grouped more with Japanese, because the physical features are similar to those of Japanese (in general).
by AK rate this post as useful

labels 2009/1/22 15:57
I'm still pretty sure that in acting someone who doesn't speak fluent Japanese would get lumped in with the rest of us gaijin, regardless of nationality.

If it's a non-speaking part, then you might be ok.

In a general sense I feel that Chinese and Koreans are considered just as much gaijin as a Caucasian is. The technical term is "stealth gaijin", because you don't realise they are gaijin until they speak.

Actually I'm not too find of the word gaijin and don't usually use it this much!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/22 16:03
Sira,

I don't like the word either :( I was feeling quite strange using this word so much writing my previous post... whew.

OK, sorry, when I grouped Koreans together more with Japanese, I was thinking of "modeling," only, for photos on magazines and things like that, no speaking part (not acting).
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/1/29 06:58
thanks guys, I'm thinking of modeling, until I can speak fluent Japanese, then I'd try acting. Thanks again!

start from modeling 2009/1/30 13:37
I have the impression that a high percentage of the so-called gai-tare (foreign entertainers in Japan) start off by registering to model agencies.

For example, I was wondering how Dante, known as Yosou-Guy, came to be so famous when he hardly spoke any Japanese. Turns out that he started as a model, was noticed on variety shows due to his amazing athletic skills, then moved on to the breakthrough Softbank commercial and on to small acts on major movies.

But I can't really think of a foreign actor who started off in Japan and yet makes a lot of money. In any country, acting or any sort of entertainment work requires special talent and not knowing/reading/writing the culture/language certainly is a disadvantage when you're trying to promote yourself.

Anyway, here is the model agency where Dante and many other non-fashion foreign models are registed to. But see? It's all in Japanese language.
http://www.remix-model.co.jp/model/woman/other.html

On a related note, even if you're Japanese, acting doesn't pay in Japan. The most popular theater/movie actors on TV tells us loads of stories on how they struggle. Of course, idles make money, but they're not real actors.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/1/31 08:13
This is my "plan":
Now: Learn Japanese and start building up a modeling profile
High School: Keep learning Japanese, try out for avex star serach, and model
And eventually get noticed by avex or some other modeling company in Japan, and maybe go to the Avex Artist Academy, become fluent in Japanese and model for avex, and eventually (if all goes well) act.

I know this is so idealist and "kid" like, but I am/will work really hard learning Japanese and practice modeling. Of course, this is just if all goes great, I know most of it wont happen, but I can dream and work hard.

I know I'm at a disadvantage by not knowing the language or culture, but luckily I figured out what I may like to do before high school or college. I'm putting most of my energy into learning Japanese and culture.

Thanks for the input!

Talent Agencies in Japan 2009/2/19 11:52
Yes, there are a number of agencies in Japan for foreign talent. Acting, modeling, and narration work is available for TV, film, and print. Most of the action is in Tokyo, but Osaka and Nagoya have opportunities as well. I wouldn't expect to get rich or famous acting as a foreigner in Japan. But if you are serious about starting out, I recommend checking out the RemonAid Foreign Talent Community. They have a "how-to" guide for getting started in the Japanese entertainment industry as well as a complete list of foreign talent agencies. http://www.remonaid.com.
by mottomatto (guest) rate this post as useful

why japan? 2009/2/19 17:17
ok, you say, you don`t know the japanese language and even not the culture.
so, probably you`ve never been to japan right?
why japan ?
I really don`t understand why so many posters want to live their lifes here, without ever been here.

first, I would save some money and make a long trip to japan. or no, you said sth with high-school...make a school exchange and experience the real japan. when japan is after that still your dreamland, than go ahead girl...
by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

thanks 2009/2/20 08:09
I don't know the language or culture yet, the options for me are limited (in that perspective). I would really love going on a summer abroad program, experience real Japan, but my parents will not let me.
I am extremely interested in Japan- the language, culture, religions, history, food, etc. I can sit on my computer all day (if I had the time) and read on the past eras of Japanese history. I am more interested in Japan's history than America, Korea, or Jews (which I am, Korean adopted to Jewish parents). I can't wait until I will be able to read classic Japanese books in Japanese.
I'm not really sure why Japan myself, after all, shouldn't I be interested in my birth country, Korea , or maybe Israel? Japan doesn't exactly fit, but some reason I'm just... attracted to Japan. Maybe it's because I use to love anime, even before I knew what "anime" or "Japan" was. Unconsciously, I went from one anime to another (pokemon, yugioh, dragon ball z, beyblade, to name a few) all before the age of 8.
I had to do a project for school, and take my family on a vacation, and I chose Japan. I loved looking up historic places, and reading Japanese legends. The (pretend) trip to Japan was the best part of the entire project.
I know many people are still like "why Japan", and have some negative comments to this dream, but until life takes another turn, I'll be working hard on my current dream.

ok 2009/2/20 10:10
I believe you that this is your big dream. But honestly like said so many times before, japan is great but before you put all your energy in this kind of future dream, you should do everything to come here for a certain time and FEEL it.
I know a friend who was talking like you (since he was 11years old) and studied japanese. but then he made an exchange at university and was shocked. he knew all about history, culture, language, economy , customs, and so on...
after 10 months he got back and changed his studies.
well, long story short:
make a big cute angels face and terrorize your parents to let you come here...

by dotcom (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/2/20 11:06
Haha, will do. I will try my best getting them to let me go.
You're friend sounds like me xD I hope he likes what he does now.
I do have back up plans, that don't really have to do with Japan... but they somewhat do at the same time.
If I can't make it in the entertainment industry, I would try marketing or advertising management for a Japanese entertainment country in foreign counties (or maybe not in foreign countries). Like advertising manga or anime or Japanese artist in America.
I am concern about the negatives aspects on Japan, and sometime I specifically look for them. Just to see what the worst case scenario could be. So far, I am still convinced.
Thanks much for your advice and opinions!

reply to this thread